Post surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a lower pole stone lasered ( ureteroscopic lithotriosy with laser) 15 days ago on a day surgery, I was re-admitted to hospital with an infection the next day and on release still had a catheter and stent.

I am now on my third round of antibiotics and the slightest exertion and I am passing blood in my wee. And have pain in bladder, kidneys and lower back ... I no longer have the catheter but still have the stent.. surely this pain and bleeding should be over by now ??

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I still have slight pain and discomfort from stone removal and stent removal. Its been 3 days post stent and I am still not feeling great. I am on antibiotic and taking motrin. I still have urgency as well. I will never have this procedure again. It was way worse than the actually kidney stone pain. Doctors told me it would only be mild discomfort. LIES!! It has been the worst experience and I have had multiple surgeries for other issues and this is by far the worst! I hope you soon are pain free!

• Posted

Thank you for your response.I can totally relate,

I had a double blockage last year january with 5 stones and ot was bad but nothing compares to the agony this time . It was as if some one was stabbing me in the kidney .

I'm a 57 yr old male and not ashamed to say j cried like a baby from the agony

• Posted

For me the stents are worse than the stones themselves.  I despise them with all my heart.  However, without them my ureter will swell shut.  I bleed the entire time that I have the stent in place.  You could also still have some stone fragments making their way out.  You should have been given some drugs to numb your bladder a bit (URO-MP is one that works well...turns your pee blue though)...with blood it will be purple smile.  I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I agree!! The stent is horrific. Getting the stent removed was no picnic either however I have heard most people don't encounter this. I still feel horrible.

• Posted

I don't even know when the stent is coming out , I was only told between 2 and 4 weeks time and it's over 2 weeks already

• Posted

I pull my own stents out when they have the string!  I’d rather be in control of my discomfort.  Hot bath...Advil...Vicodin and I am good to go.  Kidney spasms afterward suck though.
    • Posted

Thank you for the response, I wasn't given a thing initially .. not even pain meds.. but no, nothing like you've mentioned.

• Posted

I had my stent in for one week. No string but wish I had. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I was on the floor screaming and crying. I'm a 50 year old female who had 2 children and that was a breeze compared to the stent and stent removal. Unbearable. I felt as if I was being hit with a baseball bat in my kidney. I will be wishing with all my heart for your pain to ease.

• Posted

Do you know when you are having the stent removed?

My guess is that the bleeding in urine may not completely stop until stent is removed.

I  had PCNL in December last year for multiple kidney stones.

I had catheter in for 3 days and stent in for a week.

I was in hospital for a week.

Part of the reason for that was that I live 70 miles away from the hospital and also I live on my own.

I had really bad stomach ache while I was in hospital.

About a month after surgery I went to GP and had a couple of little stitches removed.

Fortunately I am now fine.

Hope you will soon be able to say the same thing.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah, really pleased you are ok now

I think I'm seeing a urologist towards the end of the month but no idea at the moment whwn the stent will be removed. I am anticipat8ng it shouldn't be long after

.. I've decided to try stop thinking about it cos it's just gonna affect me phsycologically.

Thanks again for your response

• Posted

Just a small update, 😀

I had a urine test dine last Wednesday and it came back u had a microbial infection and was on antibiotics for that.

Hopefully sorted now but yesterday morning 2.5 weeks post surgery I passed a 3mm stone .. and a few hours later I passed a whole lot of fragments ..

I knew something was up due to kidney and bladder pain.

Still no date for stent removal but finally in a better place

Thanks

• Posted

Glad to hear you have had some relief. Hopefully that horrible stent comes out very soon. Keep us updated!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.