Post surgery advice please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Found this forum yesterday and thanks to all who have given their views.

I had bunion surgery first metatarsal osteotomy five days ago. The only handout I had from leaving hospital was how to get up & down stairs. I realize from this forum that at first keeping the foot up above heart level is the way to go. Before reading this I thought I had to keep my foot down more and I did suffer.

I have been given medication which I am still needing to use regularly, but I have read on another site that mini aspirin should be taken for 6 weeks? I have not been given or told to take this (unless it has another name?) Have any of yourselves had to take this please?

The other question I have is at bedtime I seem to suffer the most, in the first few hours of going to bed.... has anyone any good tips to pass on please?

Many thanks in advance :D

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am in my third week of the op, they dont seem to give you much information, I was told not to move toes as it encourages large toe to move, I was given paracetamol but no aspirin.

I hired a bed cage from the Red Cross to put in the bed to keep covers off foot I find that helps at night so maybe worth a try, I now have the lighter plaster on and that is much better as you can walk on your heel and its more comfortable in bed,.

hope this helps, Good luck

Im sure it will be worth it all in the end!

• Posted

Many thanks for the tips, I shall look into the bed cage. I agree it will all be worth it in the end and I am looking forward to seeing my first glimse...I think!
  • Posted

hi

I'm just entering my third week now. I haven't been given aspirin and like you had very little information given. I should have been having my plaster casts on 12th but no appointments so have to wait until 16th. My bandages look like they have been dragged through a hedge backwards!

I have raised the end of the bed quite high and have found that whilst my feet are raised they feel at their best. I haven't needed a cage just stick my feet out at the bottom of the duvet. I am finding things easier as the days progress but still have the odd time when i'm needing strong pain killers but in general i've been ok.

Good luck and happy to share experiences.

J x

• Posted

Hi J

I spend ages when i get into bed shuffling around. I find if the foot is happy the knee is not, or the hip....

It will be two weeks next Monday for me and I am having the sutures removed at the GP surgery by a district Nurse as it is over an hours Journey to the hospital.

There has not been any mention of having a plaster cast put on, and I would imagine that a GP surgery would not do that???

I presume I will be bandaged again?

It is snowing very heavily at the moment so having to stay at home may have it's advantages!

I am very happy to swap experiences :D

• Posted

Hello again

Well finally seen the new feet, stiches came out and now only have pins in my hammer toes. Got plaster casts on but still have to wear the wobbly shoe but at least now i'm walking without the crutches in the house. The casts are flexible at the back but solid over the front foot and big toes are completely covered. I have straight toes and they don't look like my feet! Still swollen and the hammer toes look like little sausages but definitely an improvement. Scaring not as bad as i expected for the bunion. so all in all pretty happy with the result at the moment.

Let me know how you got on at the GPs surgery. I asked for district nurse to help out because of the bandages falling off and they were told not to touch anything because of the wooden splint. Suppose they'll all do different in each area.

Must admit i was glad i didn't need to venture out in the snow as well.

Take care

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.