Post surgery antibiotics?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I got my anal skin tag removed (for which I had already done 3 times) I did not have antibiotics prescribed. Anyone have the same experience?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my colorectal surgeon did not prescribe me antibiotics or ointment for the area. Are your procedures all for the same skin tags or new ones pop up?

• Posted

What medication if any did you use then? They were scar tissue and new skin tags from infection 😦 what was your situation and why did you get it done? I'm 22.

• Posted

Was there an infection because your surgeon used stitches or the open wounds became infected? I didn't use any medication! Only tylenol when I was in pain. I am 30 and I had 3 removed for cosmetic and cleanly reasons. I've had them for a while from having a weak stomach and hemmoroids. I am at week 8 post op and still have the same bumps there! At my 5 week post op appointment, my doctor said everything looks good and will heal.

• Posted

No stitches but perhaps the open wounds became infected. I used polysporin the last time. I did it for the same reasons as well 😃 Do you still have wounds that aren't closing up? I had it done by a naturopath.

• Posted

When my doctor looked at the wounds, she saw two small cuts open still and said that the swelling wont go down until that clears up. I still sometimes see small streaks of blood on toilet paper after a BM, so i guess they are still open. How about you? How long is the healing process?

• Posted

My healing process took a very long time. When I first got it done, it did not heal for 6 months 😦 and the underlying cause of the wound that kept tearing open was an cluster of internal hems, so they tied it off, and I had the two bumpy scar tissue bits removed again. Then it got infected lol, and so I did it a third time, this time only removing one side of the scar tissue, as the other side is fairly flat or less bumpy. I am completely healed now, I did bleed post-surgery even after 2/3 months and went to a GP to get prescribed some proctol suppositories and I stopped bleeding after. The side of scar tissue that I only removed twice, is slightly larger than the side I did 3 times, although at first it was not like that, but it's okay. I'm just glad...even though it took like a year...that the wound has closed tbh. I wouldn't care much about appearance as much as I would for health! And 100% WOUND CLOSED. Do you look in the mirror and see if they are closed? Will your doctor be able to do it again for you? Mine didn't charge me, I paid $2500 CAD. Wbu?

• Posted

That sounds like an awful series of events! My wounds look closed! My doctor saw two cuts to when she moved the bumps around. That would make sense if they were still open because I sometimes see small streaks of light blood when I wipe after a BM.

I cant tell if what I am looking at is scar tissue. Its not white or a different shade than the other tags. The top bump looks like a swollen tag (its always red and looks irritated) and the bottom one looks like a regular tag. They seem to all get irritated after a BM. My next appointment is in June and I would get them removed again. My insurance covered it so I only paid $40 for my copay.

• Posted

Hey Morgan want to give you an update since we spoke last. Before I went to my follow up appointment i checked to see what it looked like and i ended up with a small piece of skin after the first removal so he removed that other piece of skin he told me its the same healing time and he put more stitches in it only 3 this time its only been a week for me right now but its looking so bumpy at the minute which i am hoping is just swelling and will smooth out after all this. I would say they will definitely do it a second time for you if you aren't happy i wasn't charged for the second procedure which was good but i just hope now that this fixes it or ill be going back again but its still early to tell I hope yours are doing okay!

• Posted

hi! how long ago was your original surgery? 4 weeks ago? Did the doctor say what the skin leftover was..? was it a tag leftover that he missed or a new tag? or scar tissue?

• Posted

My first surgery was on the 23rd March then my follow up was on the 19th April so 4 weeks. He didn't say what the excess skin was but when it was healing there was a stitch going through that skin and that's where the swelling was i suppose it was a small tag left over. He definitely didn't miss it cause i only had one. i didn't have much scar tissue i don't know if that's because of the procedure that was done but he also didn't mention anything about scar tissue so i am not sure its looking a bit better now though no skin left just a bit bumpy from the stitches

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.