Post surgery constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, i've had surgery a little bit more than 48 hours ago for a pilonidal sinus ( basically removing tissue of a cyst in the lower back/between buttcheeks area ) and i still havent had a bowel movement. I take tylenol with codein aswell as colace, which is suposed to soften stools but i dont really feel like i need to go the the bathroom. I drink also plenty of water, but im starting to be worried as i  dont want it to get worse and i can't really contract my muscles to much due to pain. 

Any advice ? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

When my friend came round from a brain op she wasn't allowed to push for weeks so they gave her suppositories. I think in your case it might be best to ask for these if it hurts to push?

• Posted

Had the exact same op done (pilonidal sinus). exact same spot would you beleive it. It was about 12 years ago. I remember the doc who did the surgery prescibed painkillers, pretty sure it wasn't tylenol with codein. 

Did find this: http://www.rxlist.com/tylenol-codeine-side-effects-drug-center.htm

which says that the tylenol with codein combination can cause constipation. Maybe speak to your hospital/GP and ask for some other painkillers or try to get off them as soon as possible.

One thing to remember is when you do have regular bowel movements keeping the area clean (because of the stiches). It does heal quickly if you don't stretch the area (easier saiid than done).

Just remembered one of the painkillers I was precirbed was co-codamol. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.