Post-surgery Marscuplization Bartholin gland

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I had a Marscuplization after getting a extremely painful abcess in my batholiths gland. This surgery was done 4 days ago now I am a little concern because I am still bleeding ( not a lot a pad or so a day) and I am still very swollen. I am able to walk it's just sitting down the problem. I went to work he follow day after my surgery which I sit at a desk all day. Should I be concerned about the bleeding and swelling 4 days later.. I know it's only 4 days but it's very swollen.

Any tips on a quicker recovery? Apart from baths...

Thanks heaps!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's normal to have swelling so soon after the procedure. I had mine done back in March and I was sore and swollen for a good week and a bit before it settled.

I was given a week off to rest because I also found sitting for too long a period to hurt & I also work with children so walk around too much hurt for a couple of weeks after. If you're able, I suggest taking some time off work just so you aren't compacting the swelling while sitting on a chair & putting your feet up at home and allow yourself to mend.

As for the bleeding- I remember bleeding after the surgery but not days later. If you are concerned, go to the dr to double check. It wouldn't hurt.

I found warm, salted bath helped me and resting.

• Posted

I had the op in mid July this year and didn't feel totally "right" until only very recently.  I was swollen and bled for around a month after the op and then things gradually improved so, after 4 days, no, there's nothing to worry about.  Hope you recover soon xx
  • Posted

I only had bleeding immedately after the surgery. I would be concerned if I was still bleeding 4 days later. 
  • Posted

Mine definitely bled for about a week after surgery. Doc said this it totally normal so long as the amount wasn't increasing suddenly. The amount tapered off slowly until eventually it was just discharge. Now, 3 weeks later, the swelling is completely gone, no bleeding or discharge, and it feels amazing!!!! I dealt with a swollen (mandarin orange sized) gland for 2 years, and am finally feeling like myself again. I totally recommend the surgery for those of us who tried the less invasive methods with no success. Oh I also did Epsom salt water sitz baths at least twice a day after for the first week, now I'm doing only once.
  • Posted

Is this the recommended procedure or the gland removal?
    • Posted

The marsipuialization is the recommended procedure. Full gland removal, you'll find that not many doctors will do it unless it's the last resort. I said to the surgeon if you need to take the whole gland, go nuts but they said generally if they take the affected gland it'll go to the other gland. It can also cause deformation down there aswell. The recovery time I've heard is a lot longer etc.

I had my marsipuialization done in March this year and I have not had a single reoccurrence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.