Post surgery pain not on body part I had surgery on

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had foot surgery on my big toe and the pain has been ok and slowly going away but my ankle is killing me . Has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

After my 1st bunion surgery I found all my metatarsals were indivdually very painful and my ankle swelled a lot. Whereas the point of surgery was tender but nothing like the pain of the above mentioned. My surgeon said its normal as everything has to readjust to the new shape of your bones and your foot and ankle need to settle in. I'm absolutely pain free now.

• Posted

I had work  done on big toe with 2 screws and that was painful, indeed, but the strange thing was I couldn't move my ankle from right out of surgery.  I called to ask a few days later, they said it might be the blockage in back of ankle from pain relief, but it was like there was no connection of all to move the foot upwards - and it was like a dropfoot, hanging more that my other foot. I excersised everyday for my self with my foot up in the air, moving it manually as I was trying to flex it. It's getting much better but sometimes swollen and it makes click sounds sometimes . when I move it. I asked a few times and they can´t answer other that it´s because the foot has been resting, but it was from day one, so that´s not the case- and I have not found others complaining of ankle problems until now. Do you have trouble moving the ankle/flexing the foot? 

• Posted

My ankle was very painful when I got back to walking and still gives me "moments" after 5 months.  in fairness it was a slight problem before but i am doing ankle exercises to strengthen it and that is helping.  I have most of my discomfort in the top of my foot towards the ankle but am helping this by trying to use my toes to push off so that all the tendons and ligaments improve. Exercise is the only way to help it.  if you are having physio do the exercises every day as this was the thing that got me moving quickest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.