post surgery ruptured achilles tendon

Posted , 42 users are following.

Thought i would start a new discussion. Tore my right achilles nearly 3 weeks ago now. Had the operation about 10 days after rupture. I am in my late twenties and it came as a bit of a shock if im honest. I go to the gym regularly and exercise with weights frequently.

Anyway, had the op and im in no pain and have no swelling. I was expecting a lot of pain but nothing. The most discomfort i have is when i have to get up to use my crutches, as after about 15 mins being stood up i can feel the calf start to swell a bit. I am told i am in this cast for another week and then they will change the angle of my foot for another cast. Looking forward to getting back to driving and the gym. Feel free to post your own stage of progress and any tips smile

3 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hey folks. thought i would do an update. had the cast off yesterday and doctor said to start weight bearing in an air boot. i have 4 wedges in and have to take one out in 2 weeks and see him in a further 2 weeks.

noticed a little bit of swelling in the foot today after walking around in the boot. it feels tender in my heel as i am walking on wedges but everything else is progressing fine i think. no pain, which i am sure is a good sign.

considering going back to the gym this weekend to do some light upper body work outs. how is everybody else going?

• Posted

I have now completed 5 weeks after my operation (well tomorrow anyway)

I went back to the gym today and did a chest workout. (I do powerlifting for GB), but it was surprising at how much strength i have lost. I kept my leg up throughout the whole session so it wouldnt get knocked etc.

Tendon feels fine. It has been great to get back in the gym. I also get to take a wedge out in another week.

Getting there smile

• Posted

quick update. full weight bearing now. dont use the crutches around the house. i take one when i go ou just in case. something i might do for the duration as it is there in case i fall. tendon is fine and wound is healing well.

1 wedge comes out on tuesday so i will be down to 3. 4 weeks left of the summer holidays for me as well.

back in the gym and feeling better each day. there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Just an update: Finally got my moon boot off on 05.08.2015 exactly 8 weeks after I initially reptured my achilles. I went for the non-surgical route. Foot/ankle/tendon have healed perfectly and already walking without a limp. Physio indicated he hasnt seen anything like this as I was able to carry out physio exercises that normally recomend at the 19-23 weeks post injury. Still wont be rushing into anything, but so relieved all is well smile
  • Posted

Hey folks. Thought i would do a quick update. i am nearly 7 weeks post op. managed to get into town today. managed a walk around, albeit slowly in this huge moon boot.

No pain at all in the achilles and was walking around FWB.

All in all it is progressing well. I shall post next (9days) when i go down to 2 wedges and i also have a doc visit that day.

• Posted

Hi again folks,

i am now 8 weeks post op and down to 2 wedges.

Had a doctors appointment this morning and all is going well. tendon still attached and working fine. wound healing very well too.

i dont have much left to report now. other than i am FWB and going well.

my  life is nearly back to normal. just cant drive yet.

i have another appointment in a month and i am told i am out of the boot that day.

tendon feels slightly stiff when i take a wedge out but that is all normal i am sure.

feel free to post anything or ask questions smile

• Posted

Hi, I'm 31 and ruptured my Achilles' tendon in May 2015 playing net ball. I wasn't even given the option for surgery as was told the non surgical way was just as successful

I was in a half cast for 3 days then into a moon boot at 30* for 6 weeks on crutches with no weight bearing. Between 6-11 weeks a wedge was removed

At 11 weeks post injury I got out of the boot and was fwb

15 weeks post injury I was at the park with my boys and stepped off the footpath onto the grass and the angle I placed my foot I unfortunately re ruptured.

Heard the snap and went straight to hospital where they put me in a cast again

So the whole process begins again

I'm so devastated, I have 3 young children and had just secured my dream job 4 weeks prior to the re rupturesad

• Posted

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about your rerupture.

I am afraid to say that they have fobbed you off. Whilst non surgical is often just as successful, they have manipulated the criteria of what is classed as success.

The re rupture rate for non surgical is between 20-40%

whilst the operative route is less than 3% and from what i read comes mainly from patients doing crazy things like running immediately.

Go into your hospital and demand surgery.If they flatly refuse find a hospital until you get surgery.

IT IS THE BEST ROUTE and it will fix it.

Good luck

• Posted

I guess they didn't really offer me the surgery because when I found out the duration of recovery was just the same I didn't want surgery. Can you tell me what exactly happens during surgery! Do you stay the night?
    • Posted

it depends what time your operation is. i was really nervous so i shall tell you what happened to me.

Got there at 12pm. into a bay where i changed into my gown. taken down about 3.30pm. i said i was nervous so they injected me with this drug and i could not stop laughing. it was the best experience of my life smile

i went into the room and they sedated me. i felt nothing and you dont even know you are going to sleep.

woke up about 90 mins later with half a cast on. somebody measures your oxygen levels etc.

i know my surgeon and spoke to him about it. he said you are more safe when you are 'under' as you have someone measuring all your levels.

i had to stay the night, as the plaster room had finished and i needed half a cast.

after that i came home the next day. my visits have been split into 2 week sections. if you read my posts you will see what happened. hope that helps

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post op :D

nothing major to report either so here are some things i wanted to know about what would i be like after 9 weeks.

i get a bit of swelling if i am onmy feet for more than an hour.

the wound has healed nicely apart from two tiny bits of scabthat are left.

i have good movement in my toes and can do very small ankle circles.

i am able to exercise the upper body well and even did a bit of training on the uninjured side and everything feels fine.

i have no painin my achilles either.

i shall return to work next week (after the 6 week hols) i guess you can return depending on your job.

i am down to my last wedge a week tomorrow. let the good times roll smile

well that's me for now

• Posted

Hi James, I am now 4 months+ post surgery had 4 casts for 6 weeks due to pressure sore caused by initial plaster, which then ulcerated. went into moon boot, didnt get on well with it,  tried often gently exercising without boot taking a little weight bearing everyday used it at first to get around but gradually used less and less much to the delight of my physio who thought that immobilising the ankle for a long timewas a bad idea, told me to use common sense and listen to my body, if you get pain, ease off, discarded the boot after 6 weeks,calf muscle is still a little weak & scar tissue is a little tight but can walk any distance and drive with no problem, drove 220 miles to Cornwall walked around Eden project and Fowey drove back next day, I was knackered but the leg was OK. still have to have dressing on the ulcer but it is now almost gone, my take on it is, You know your own body, take care not overdo it but try to use the ankle as much as you can comfortably & gently as soon as you can after cast is removed to get as much mobility and strength back as quickly as possible, pain is the best indicator of too much, if it hurts stop, as soon as it gets uncomfortable ease back. I used a TheraBand to stretch the calf muscle when lying on the bed and sitting watching TV. Physio recommended using a small trampoline to bounce on, use both feet at first then alternate feet, I found that a great help.

Take care. I am 67 and reasonably fit and getting fitter so theres hope for all if I can do it.

• Posted

further to my last, I forgot to mention that when I first started fwb my foot and ankle would swell massively, I was told this was "normal" the physio told me to wear diabetic socks with no elastic which helped greatly to reduce the amount of swelling, i also mainly around the house walk barefooted which also stops the swelling
    • Posted

that is fabulous progress. sounds really good to hear. you have done so well from what i can gather there. well i darent discard the boot yet as i think it migh tbe too early. i have been doing small ankle circles without the boot on but dont want to put my foot on the floor yet with weight on without a boot there.

i do get swelling a little bit now but nothing of concern.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.