Post Surgery Swelling/Numbness

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All,

I had surgery on my right hand a month ago and have been very disappointed with the results so far. I was getting a great deal of pain in my wrist and into my thumb, forefinger and mid finger with swelling in all my hand. On certain movements, my fingers would tingle and buzz, especially with my hands by my side. At night was the worst and getting both hands going in the morning was very hard and was/am unable to make even half a fist. At my worst I couldn't even pull a plug socket out of the wall with both hands. (Left is slightly less painfull/swollen than the right). I think I have had it coming for years as it is in the family and I have worked with my hands all my life. 4 yrs ago i was struck down with Polymyalgia Rheumatic and I have since found out that PMR can trigger CTS in a small percentage of people. The steroids kept my body and my hands going for that time, but when I finally came out of the PMR earlier this year, I have been left with the terrible CTS. I have been on Naproxen pretty much since then. The surgeon said that the carpal tunnel was very tight when he operated and remarked that it wasn't the worst he had ever seen but it was up there with them!!! My mate had his done years ago and said he had immediate relief and it was brilliant afterwards and good since, so I didn't hesitate after the Steroid jabs pretty much failed after a month. Since the op, my wrist pain and pain into my thumb, forefinger and mid finger has gone and I sleep better at night, however my fingers and hand generally are still swelling badly at times and I now have numbness on the tips of my mid and ring fever and thumb! If i stretch my fingers open, I get the tingling across my hand too. The hand is very weak and I can't open large top bottles. I'm seeing the consultant next week, so it will be interesting to hear what he says. He originally said it could take 2-3 yrs for the nerve to recover as it had been flattened! It is still early days I know and I am being impatient, but they have offered to do my left hand before the end of Oct and I am loathe to go ahead if this is what I have to look forward too. Sorry to go on so much, but it's been a tough few years and it helps to get it all out. It would be great to hear from people who have experienced similar symptoms and have made a full recovery.

Steve

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.