Post Surgery Update

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a check in with my Primary yesterday. One thing I noticed is still feeling short of breath. They did a chest xray and found I still had quite a bit of Co2 from the surgery in me..Took some Gasx and saw big improvement. So just a tip..maybe to take that preemptively, I didn't feel gassy perse,so I had no idea! I'm glad I looked into it. They also checked my urine and it was fine..It may be protein drinks that are contributing to the sweet smell..I'm doing pretty good altogether. I need to work on being more active daily and moving around, being more productive..I still can't say for sure yet how my divirticulitus is doing as I'm on a limited diet still, and of course still have a sore abdomen. Overall though, can't say I've had any symptoms so I'm hopefulsmile!! My only minor complaint is man did I bruise badly in the main incison under my belly button..huge round bruise. Did others experience that?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had bruising too under my belly button. Staying on a soft diet makes a big difference even if the doctor tells you that you can eat anything you want. My theory is your insides need al lot more healing time than the outside. Love my binder helps out so much. I was worried about the lack of gas, guess I was eating right and exercising (walking) after every meal. I stayed on the soft diet for 6 weeks (eat in moderation), then started in small amounts food I hadn't eaten in 2 years.

• Posted

If you can think of any other meals, foods that you haven't mentioned please send to mesmile..I'm so bored with soup, yogurt, pudding,eggs..I was thinking of making homemade potpie tonight...Would that be considered soft? Thoughts on peas? Thanks for your insight🙄!

• Posted

Potpie is good, but hold off on the peas for now. I used to make stew/pot pie all the time with potatoes (no skin), canned orboiled sliced carrots, canned green beans. Fresh green beans still tend to be crunchy, that's what you want to stay away from. Ground beef, not hamburgers, broken down (I would use beef stock) mix with raw ground beef and slowly cook it. No on corn. Basically remember anything that goes in need to come out. Think soft.

• Posted

Can I ask you ladies what your surgery was? Was it uncomplicated bowel resection? Mine seemed so much more complicated. I did have Iliostomy too though (  temporary)  ,but the major part was the resection, I spent a night in intensive care with that. And recovery has been long. 
    • Posted

I had a sigmoidectomy, 10 inches removed, no Iliostomy needed. It was done laproscopic. I have 4 incisions, the one near my belly button is largest, and that's where the significant bruise is. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. I will tell you this surgery has been more taxing than my gall bladder removal..I find my energy is sapped and I can't stay on my feet for more than a few hours a day so far..if that..I'm doing good..people who see me say I look good, but I'm very tired..and my tummy sores easy, which I think is totally normal at this point..I'm hoping by next week to see some more significant recovery, but I can tell this is gonna take time..

• Posted

I think your doing very well. I was in hospital 2 weeks. Probably because of the Iliostomy as well though. It is a big op with or without the Iliostomy. . And it took me 8 weeks at least to feel better,and sometimes I still tire when I'm on my feet, although I Can walk around now, and I was super fit before all of this. I'm 2 weeks from reversal, but as recently as yesterday must have eaten something that didn't agree and fell lousy last night. I'm extremely careful what I eat though, very bland food. I am a vegetarian, and my surgeon said I'm one of the very few vegetarians he has ever seen with this disease . Lucky eh? Lol. I'm 62 , skinny, never been constipated, and walked at least 10.000 steps or more every day before all this, so it just shows it does not discriminate. Hope you continue to recover as well,as you have so far. 

• Posted

Mine was open cut, thankfully removed 4", so I have less restrictions . However what my surgeon thought was a slam dunk wasn't. When he opened me it looked like my appendix had burst, it didn't but there was so much infection they literally had to take out all my organs and flush them and my abdominal cavity out before the surgery. I'm now in my 8th week, down to 1 painkiller a day , wear my binder helps (except in bed). I've been seriously trying to avoid the meds but for instance a little cough(before I put on the binder) pulled a muscle and had to take the pill (valium). I'm diligent about walking everyday after eating. I set a goal ,don't freak out if I don't make it because i'm tired. My energy and strength varies everyday. Just bending over to put the dog's bowl on the floor pulled all my right side muscles but I didn't let it get me depressed. Put my binder back on, laid down. I must be doing something right because in the 8 weeks I've gone from an XXL to M binder.

• Posted

So for some reason the binder feels ok for a little while, but then starts to bother me so I end up taking it off..I have a short torso..Not sure if that may be it. I m only 5'1, down to 130 lbs, 40 yrs old. I'm glad to hear that the tiredness and soreness roller coaster is normal..I guess I will

Just need to keep chugging along and doing best I can like all of you fine ladiessmile, thanks again for helping me and listening!! This has been a trying time I'm sure you all understand

• Posted

We don't have binders in Australia. What do they do? 

• Posted

Well in my case I had open cut from the bottom of my bellybutton to right above my vagina bone. They open all the way through cutting through muscles and nerves. They do inside stitches then for me both staples and stitches. The binder basically helps to hold the cut tissue, muscles and nerves together to heal evenly. 8 weeks later it helps to keep the muscles from pulling. I did learn that after years of being so bloated it stretched out my muscles (no stretch marks), plus all my lower organs were severely swollen. Now that I'm on the mend everything is retracting to their normal size (yes, painfull) and the binders help a lot for support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.