Post Surgery Workout Question

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now 5 months post op, posterior fossa decompression with C1 lamenectomy and dura patch. We also had a our first born a month before my surgery. Ever since I started experiencing my symptoms 3 years ago, I lost my motivation to exercise, and recovering from the surgery and having a baby has really sidelined me from exercising. I inevitably gained 36 pounds, I’m 5’10 and 236lbs, so I need to start getting healthy again.

I am kind of afraid to start working out since I had the surgery. I still have some symptoms, and I am sure I am still recovering from the surgery itself. My neck hurts, and I’m really tired at the end of my work day, but I want to get active again.

Do you think light jogging and or doing an eliptical is good to start with? Maybe start with like 30 min of jogging a couple miles.  What do you think? I definitely don’t want to mess up my surgery 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also, I had my post surgery follow up and the surgeon showed me my before and after CINE Flow (CSF fluid) study and he said there is great flow now. I could see all the white fluid in the new mri cine flow study images as opposed to the old mri cine flow study images which had little to no white fluid flow showing up....so that’s good! But I still have neck pain, tightness in my neck, fatigued at the end of my work day, clicking in the back of my neck, and my tmj facial symptoms...which I hope will slowly dissapear or I will have to live with it 
  • Posted

Hi, Ok please understand this is my experience & not telling you what to do, but suggesting sort to say. LOL!.  My second surgery was same as yours but with a titanium plate instead of dura patch. I will never exercise again unless it is only my legs.  It is not worth the long term damage you can do.  Just carrying the baby around will strain your neck and might even cause build up of scar tissue where the operation was.  I'm 56 now and the brain sags like everything else as you get older so try to be careful about lifting heavy things & pulling.  To be active again is to experiment and if you feel any strain neck up, that would be a warning that it's not a good exercise to do.  Hang in there, you'll find your way. smile

• Posted

I'm post decompression surgery 13 months now and my neck is still extremely weak. I'm only 21 so trying to be active is important to me but can be very hard and challenging at times.

I've recently tried Pilates as a lot of it can be done on your back with your neck resting on the floor (which works for me). I also do cycling or spin classes which suits me as my head isn't bouncing up and down.

It's all really down to trial and error and what suits you and doesn't make you uncomfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.