Post surgical pe's

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I'm 6 weeks post hip revision surgery. Had two weeks pre surgery complete bed rest due to disclocations. Developed multiple bi lateral pe day 6. Still struggling now with pain in lungs. See my other posts in hip replacement forums for whole journey.

How long does pain and shortness of breath last. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry that all of this happened to you. Were you on a blood thinner prior to your surgery while you were on bed rest? Did you get Heparin shots in your stomach to start the dissolving process? Did you still have your surgery? I remember that my chest still hurt the nine days I was in the hospital until my clot started dissolving. and also because I was on coumadin I had to get to 2.3 before I could come home but it was not long after I was home that my pain basically went away. I am no doctor but live in a community where all my friends are Doctors but if I went ahead and did surgery to you and you had a clot on day 6 of bed rest that really surprises me. I probably need to go to your other post but I'm not sure how to find it. What I'm questioning is what does your doctor say about your INR now and what are you on for that clot?

• Posted

I am doing voice to text on my phone and I noticed that several times I use the pronoun I instead of you so I hope you understand what I was asking! Was your day 6 when you got your clot was it pre-surgery or post-surgery?
    • Posted

Hi. I was on bed rest because of my new hip kept disclocating. 21 june was 1st surgery. Was on clexane injection while on bed rest. After my 2nd revision surgery 18 July had foot pumps and stockings. But surgeon stop injections due to a big bleed into joint after 1st surgery. Currently on dabigatran. ( Seems to be what they use in New Zealand) clot was day 6 post 2 surgery. Day I was meant to come home.
  • Posted

Hi,

Without reading your comments elsewhere on here, the PE pain, depending on severity of clot(s), generally lasts 6 - 12 months along with swelling and shortness of breath. I'm into month 4 and still experiencing grief with my clots in lungs.

• Posted

Samuels, I did not believe my doctor when he said it would be close to a year until I felt like myself again but he was right. It will be a year on Oct 31st but I believe that my clots appeared earlier as I was treated for bronchitis, was on 4 different antibiotics until my x-ray said, on Oct 31th that I did not have bronchitis, probably never did but the doc at Urgent Care said I did so my own doctor treated me for 2 full weeks!  Anyway, I am convinced that if I had gotten a CT Scan earlier mine would not have had the 2 weeks to do damage. And they did. I hope and pray that your next scan will show yours gone!  Stay in touch!

• Posted

If you click on my name you can see other messages I have written.
  • Posted

Just realized that you were from NZ! If I lived in another country other than America, it woukd be NZ. Gave been there 9 times! Even have a work visa for NZ!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.