Post Svt ablation

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hey all

Had my ablation done on Wednesday afternoon, was around two hours.. no drugs other than the sedative for the catheters. Went home same night.

I was wondering how everyone felt afterwards? I have managed to get a few stories from here and there, but can't find a specific post svt ablation based topic.

For me, my heart was a little bit giddy the first two days, I walked for 10 seconds and it was at 130-140.. but today it has settled to resting rate and seems to gain the same as it normally would.

My chest feels tight/burny just slightly, a tiny bit of discomfort too.

And I seem to be ever so slightly short of breath and this increases a little bit the more I move around.

And I want to move around and do stuff, but I can't because I just get very tired very quickly.

I just want an idea of recovery times and what people experienced during these.

Cheers

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had an ablation like two and a half years ago, unfortunately mine it didn't work beause I still have some episodes of svt, that I can control with my medication that I take every day, is called METROPROLOL, but what does not help me is the anxiety because I am an anxious person, but I try the best to live with this condition, that is not easy at all.  But you ask about the recovery time for me it took me like one month to recovery, and yes, at the beginning I felt like so tired when I walked and also when I did so many stuffs at the same time, that is completely understandable your heart suffered some electric shocks from the day you did your ablation.  But little by little you will be good in a month. Also depends of your age, I think so, because I am not too young so I hope you will get better. And the discomfort that you felt also is normal.

• Posted

I,m due to go to barts hospital for an ablation soon, i will be 70 on thursday and live with palpitations and svt for many years, its hell.  I have worked and brought up a family but it was so hard to be and appear normal, i am an anxious person as well.  I take Bisoprolol now after  bad attack whch the hospital gave me adenisone.  I m actually frightened about this procedure, especially on the heart, the svt was now and again but the palpitions are constant, mostly.
  • Posted

Hi. Glad to hear its gone well so far. I had an ablation 5 years ago and have not had SVT (or SVT meds) since. As Ema said, post-op recovery and sensations probably depend to a certain degree on things like age and general health and fitness. I'm 58 and don't remember feeling unwell after my ablation (although it was carried out while I was in hospital for chemo so compared to that it was a doddle). 

I did get a good few heart jitters and flutters and thuds for the first month or so after the ablation. Just like SVT was about to start, but it never actually did. It seems that's quite common and, apart from the anxiety it might cause, it is not at all harmful or to be worried about.

I think its also pretty common to feel a bit tired for a while too while it all heals. The stress/anxiety of anticipating the procedure probably takes a little while to work its way out of your system too. 

From what you've said, I wouldn't worry. You've probably got a follow up appointment with your cardio in the next month or so and can go through any remaining issues then.

Best of luck. Hope it works out as well for you as it has for me. 

• Posted

Congratulations on being on this side of your ablation.  I'm 69 and had mine done 2.5 years ago. Nothing remarkable about my recovery, and I was doing my normal exercise 3 days later (walking 4 miles/day and resistance training 3 times/week).  An unexpected challenge came the 2nd evening post-procedure when a vehicle struck  a tree on our property.  I immediately trotted (barefooted and through broken glass) to assist driver and passenger (both not badly hurt, fortunately) and remained out there until the police departed an hour or so later.  Maybe doing well through that experience left the rest of my recovery as no problem at all.  I hope your recovery will go well, too.  Take care.  

• Posted

My 18 year old daughter had her svt ablation August 2016. She is acutely aware of her heart rate and is still experiencing fatigue, palpitations,flutters, skipped beats. However she no longer has the svt. She experienced the tight chest like svt was about to happen but it doesn't. She is away at College ( stress and anxiety natural habitat) the first six months was tough. She thought she would bounce back to her normal self. Not the case. Of course structure is out the window! She naps a lot but she goes like gang Buster's when she's awake. The doctor says she is still experiencing post atrial and ventricle contractions. I'm not sure if it's better with time or if it's tolerable with time. Don't do too much too soon and wishing you the best on your recovery! I hope her story helps.

• Posted

You said she no longer has svt but she is experiencing the symptoms.Did you ever find out what was causing it still?
  • Posted

Now i have psvt disease. Doctor said to me to make rf ablation. But i have afraid.what I should do? Is it possible? Please advise me.
  • Posted

Hi Bedford90

My name is Nora , I had my ablation  Dec , 9,2018 .. went well , my experience  is similar to yours.. went for my check up  on Jan 26 ,2018 was given a clean bill of health., but as I sit here today ..I am feeling palpitations , so I will be calling my Dr .tomorrow to find out why ..  I am thinking ?? maybe too much caffeine , I do have a touch of bronchitis and it’s acting up .. so I will let you know .,to  my understanding I  shouldn’t be palpitating anymore .. 🙁. How about you anymore episodes.

• Posted

Hi, just had my ablation 9 days ago , and I am also experiencing short of breath and tired as I’m walking and just doing anything... just wondering how long recovery was for you and when did everything become normal Again ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.