Post syndesmosis surgery (and broken bones)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last Monday

I disclocated the left ankle, broke two bones and had plate and screws put in during surgery to repair the syndesmosis ligament.

When elevated it is ok, still some pain but manageable. However, once lower leg to use crutches, the pain is intense. I was given a weeks supply of medication but now I am just taking Panadol and nurofen Has anyone had similar surgery that can give me some information.

Thanks

Brian

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian,

I had the orif with syndemosis repair also.

My os said to put ice behind my knee and elevate as much as possible is the key t o reducing pain and inflammation. I have to agree. My surgery was 1-8-18.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I will try the ice behind the knee today. Are you still in pain 6 weeks post op when walking with crutches or have you been able to partially weight bare with the boot?
    • Posted

I have been non weight bearing since 12/16/17. I have a displaced fracture of my Fibula. I still have muscle pain and leg bruising. I can't wiggle my last 3 toes either. Anxious to hear what the surgeon says on the 15th.

• Posted

I’m about 4 months post op and I’m in the boot. Pain is totally normal, unfortunately. My pain finally got manageable around 3 weeks and then when I transitioned to the boot, it was a new kind of pain. Elevate and ice is the best thing to do in the beginning. But my best advice to you is to not listen to the negative stories you find. When I was a week in I read so many negative recovery stories and started sobbing. My doctor told me it’s a standard recovery, just listen to what your doctor says and stay positive!
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. I had reconstruction on my other ankle 6 years ago but it wasn't as bad as this. Overall I'm fairly positive about it all. Prepared to give it as much time as it needs to heal and then take it from there.

My concern was the intense pain but once I heard it is normal, its stop me worrying about it.

Hope your recovery goes well!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.