Post TAH pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, just need some advice. I had my TAH 12 days ago, I'm still taking co-codamol 4 x a day and experiencing a significant amount of pain, is this normal? Want to be back to normal now the "big op" is over so finding it more than a little frustrating!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't know the co-codamol drug,  it a narcotic?   I had a hysterectomy about 30 yrs ago and ended  up with sciatic nerve damage, that's a whole other drama...but I live with it and manage that issue.....That was my big pain mess.....thinking back...no heavy drugs after this surgery....  I think I was back to work in 3 weeks or so thinking back 30 yrs, it takes time as lots of healing has to happen.   J
  • Posted

Could you have been doing too much ? I found that even trying to lift a saucepan full of water would cause pain at first and it was so frustrating. Perhaps you will find that you have to slow down a bit. It drove me mad not being able to get on with things. Hang on in there, it will get easier. You could always see your GP if the pain is very bad and constant. 12 days post op is still early on in your recovery though. Good luck with it, you will be in top form once you have fully recovered.

Bess.

• Posted

Hi 12 day's post op is very early days I had my op in December and things ain't still 100 percent it is frustrating but it's such a big op. I did stop taking the co-codamol though because they can give you constipation which can also add to some of the pain your experiencing. 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

it's 17 days since my total abdominal hysterectomy and I still feel like I have been hit in the stomach by an elephant. I wake in the night when I'm turning on my side that's when it is quite painful.   I am only taking paracetamol now though because I want to get off the stronger painkillers.  I am 53 and everybody takes a different length of time to recover.  Hot flushes are driving me mad!!!  

• Posted

Hi I think having an abdominal hysterectomy is alot worse than keyhole surgery and the recovery is longer with them cutting into your stomach muscles.  I can sympathise with you for the hot flushes they are horrendous think I would rather have a pain then suffer hot flushes. Take care
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies, pain has started to improve now, think reading your replies made me realise that I was being a bit unrealistic. Really really good to know I'm not alone, thank you all x
  • Posted

Hi Sarah just interested to know just how much pain you are getting the moment. It's three weeks tomorrow since I had my TAH and I'm still experiencing a lot of discomfort, still got that awful feeling that I have been hit in my stomach along with a number of stabbing pains. My energy levels are really low and  today I've got a headache
    • Posted

Hi Debedee

How are you doing now? I'm just past the 3 week mark, still uncomfortable although have been able to reduce the pain killers. I can sympathise with the stabbing pains, think for me some of that is my bowels settling down. I'm still resting lots, your body has been through a big trauma very recently, it's going to take a while to recover. I take myself out for a couple of short walks every day and go back to bed for a couple of hours every afternoon. Hope you're feeling a bit better now x

• Posted

Four weeks tomorrow since my op and at last I'm starting to improve.  I am managing 2 walks per day, although it is probably too hot this afternoon for a second walk (I'm in Melbourne). I agree with your comments about the pain I am experiencing may very well be to do with bowels.  Hot flushes are awful and I don't sleep well but I'm just grateful that the worst is over and I don't need any further treatment.  The pain is worse at night before bed so I have been taking 2 Neurofen.  This is a great forum, it helps to share the experience.  I'm not allowed to drive until I have seen my Oncologist on 24th.

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.