Post Tennis Elbow Release Surgery Advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I had surgery 3 weeks ago & I’ve been told that I can either remove the cast myself today or wait until I see the physio on Wednesday. I’d love to take it off today but am nervous as to how the arm will feel & exactly what I can use it for. Has anybody had surgery & what sort of things did you do after the cast came off? I don’t want to damage the tendon or forearm muscles. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a radial head replacement that involved tendon and ligament damage. I worked as a nurse and I can't believe that a Dr would be so careless to suggest a patient remove their own cast after any surgery...don't do it. If you have problems they can say it was something you did not them. You hear stories such as yours and wonder where this Dr received his degree. He should be looking at your arm once the cast is removed for proper signs of healing and making sure there is infection. Good luck Dawn, you know in the medical field the Dr is supposed to be a patient's advocate, looks like in your case you definitely need to be your own.

• Posted

Sorry...meant no sign of infection.
    • Posted

Thanks Cathy, I never thought of that! The surgeon has seen the wound when he took the stitches out but then he put the existing cast back on (it’s a partial cast so the underside of the arm is free but bandaged). He said the physio can remove the cast & when I emailed him he said I can remove it & see how it feels but then put it back on if painful or wait until I see him on Wednesday. I think I’ll just wait. 

• Posted

Good idea to wait. I am sure after surgery you will have restrictions on movement etc if you had tendons involved. I wasn't allowed to pivot my arm for 4 months. My surgery was different but still I would want them to remove it and make sure I wasn't doing anything that could cause more harm than good. Good luck with your healing process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.