Post TKR consultation

Posted , 3 users are following.

so I saw the consultant today and my flexion was rubbish barely 90 degrees but I managed to convince him that I've had it as bent as 110 but as he could clearly see it was swollen when I saw him. His clinic was running an hour late so I pointed out that it had swelled up due to waiting for him 😂. Anyway he was happy that I was happy with it so manipulation has been avoided and I don't have to see him now until September 😃  I can also ride my racer now when my knee isn't swollen of course, managed 30 minutes this morning with just a bit of pain deep in the joint. The consultant says I need to build up the quadricep because I can't straighten it properly when my leg is off the ground. I did point out that I haven't been able to that for over 10 years so I've got a long way to go yet before I can do that. Over all I'm very happy with how things have turned out. The episodes of swelling will get less and less over time 😃

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This will finish your ROM work at home...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

This will rebuild all the strength in your quads, glutes and core...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

This will get you to master stairs again (up and down alternately without holding onto anything...or falling on your face)...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

All of this will take up the remainder of year 1 post-op.  Then you throw a HUGE party and get completely smashed, knock into a coffee table and need a TKR on the other knee.  Prophesy...

• Posted

Is that what you arev planning? Have you had the party yet!😃

• Posted

I wanted to "rock and roll all night, and party every day!"  You really do celebrate after one year as you reflect on the time it took and the work you put in.  It's not an easy year...toughest rehab I've ever done.  Mine was complicated by sciatica at week 5 (fixed by my chiropractor in a few weeks) and stenosis at month 8 (that stopped my exercise program until an LLIF fusion of L2/L3 fixed it at my TKR 1-year mark).  So for me, it was a double celebration...but then I had to re-start the exercise.  However, I'm lucky that after 45 years of hockey, my legs have a lot of muscle memory.  At 14 months, I was climbing stairs two at a time without holding onto anything.

I'm putting off #2 for a while...even at 70, not in any hurry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.