Post TKR foot issues.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - I am wondering if anyone has any ideas please.

I am 6 weeks out from TKR on my right knee and all is going really well BUT i am having issues with my right foot.

I had two years of difficulty prior to my surgery and in that time my foot started to feel like it was turning in slightly and my two toes next to the big one started to cross over when I was weight bearing. Since surgery I have felt like I have a lump on the ball of my foot which PT says is the ball joint of the toes not staying in place. I haven't had pain from this just discomfort and a feeling like I am standing on a small ball. PT and doc have said it will alleviate as everything starts to work properly in allignment again but Now I am having very strong pain in the foot and yesterday putting any weight on the foot was excruciating. The top right hand side of my foot is very tender too.

I am hoping the experts are right and it is just part of the process but it is so frustrating as the knee is going very well and without the foot pain I would be feeling on top of the world.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Just wondering if the doctor or physio said they had seen this sort of thing before if not they must be assuming in which case you should seek a second opinion i am six weeks post op to i mentioned a couple of things to my physio and got the same sort of answer it will be ok when things settle down or the muscles are rebuilding i have very little pain but if you are suffering get it checked good luck.

• Posted

hello. PT and doc did not comment on that both said it will settle etc. BUT I had the OT visit yesterday and he suggested orthotic support so will get on to that, Have surgeon op follow up tomorrow so hopefully will get an opinion from him. Fingers crossed.
    • Posted

Hi

Hopefully you will get some positive news i hope all goes well for you good luck and take care.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you are having this trouble following your TKR. I have foot problems, and one year prior to my TKR I had foot surgery to repair torn tendons and reconstruct ankle ligaments. Following TKR (I am now 8 weeks post op)  I am no longer able to wear the same shoe inserts without experiencing foot pain. I was told that the new alignment of my leg/knee has caused quite a shift with my foot and hip. This makes sense as prior to knee surgery there is usually a lot of compensation that the body does with other joints. Perhaps an appointment with a podiatrist or specialty shoe store may be needed to help you change your footwear or shoe inserts to help with the change in your alignment. Good luck!

• Posted

That is exactly what I have been thinking - all the realigning and adjustment is causing this. God i hope it doesn't affect anything else !!! 

Thanks for your kind input.

• Posted

That sounds awful! You shouldn't have to exchange one pain for another. And to not be able to bear weight cause of the foot pain doesn't sound right. Can you get in to see the surgeon about this? Once he sees how much pain it's causing he might take you more seriously. The tricky part is getting past the receptionists! I found after a few attempts to reach the doctor that if I called the after hours number a doctor would call back and would say Tell them I said to squeeze you in! Worked a couple times like that. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I have my follow up visit tomorrow so that is something !!  Will keep you posted.
  • Posted

Well glad you're feeling good with your knee unfortunately since you had to deal with compensating the 2 yrs. Before your surgery...your body probably just got used to you walking that way with your foot.I agree that, with time ......5to8mnths...your body will hopefully settle down to something more normal,does take some time although everyone is different.give or take a year but if it doesnt start to ease up and go back to something more normal would deffinately get another oppinion. best of luck to your recovery.

• Posted

Well sorry to hear you're hurting. This is probably not related but I am also about 5 1/2 weeks out from TKR and I have to watch myself because of my leg alignment. I cross my feet when sitting which creates pain on inner part of my new knee. My PT pointed it out that I wasn't straightening my leg properly which helped alot. Anyways probably not related but wish you the best.

• Posted

Thank you. I think it is all related. All this alignment and realignment following injury and the body compensating is quite a minefield !!  I try and keep the big picture in mind and look to the future when it has all sorted. It seems that one things comes right and another pops up lol.
    • Posted

Hi Michael

Just noticed you mentioned crossing your legs i have always sat like that luckily i fell upon an article on tkr it stressed one of the worst things for recovery was to cross the legs i have to keep reminding myself to stop it lol.

• Posted

Hi,

I had foot issues like that, but it was after I'd had bunion surgery.  The foot surgeon had to shorten the 2nd and 3rd toes to line up the joints with my big toe.  Not sure if there's any connection to your knee surgery though.  You may need to see a podiatrist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.