Post TKR tiredness

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I had a TKR 3 weeks ago and all going well except continual tiredness. I realise that sleep is broken but just wondered if anyone had any tips. Thank youtwisted

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh dear I remember that very well I am now fast approaching wk 10 and getting at least 5h straight sleep then wake up turn over rearrange pillow between knees and start again.

I know it is an awful feeling lack of sleep I just took every chance I could to nap during the day mainly after exercise / ice / TV - don't try too do to much and listen to your body

• Posted

I too remember the sleeping issue myself. I am 7 week post op and sleeping is one area I seem to of mastered.

I did go two weeks straight with no more than two hours each night. I found I was able to doze off on the sofa in the early hours (I cannot straighten my TKR leg much) by hanging my heal off the edge, I found some relief.

I also take Amitriptolyne for nerve pain caused in op. An hour before bed time is ideal as they make me sleepy. I wake up after 4 hours without fail but after a drink of water I can sleep again for another 2.

I actually find sleeping on my good side with a cushion between my knees the most comfortable.

Also when struggling to sleep I put some music on...anything to take my mind off it.

• Posted

Hi I also drift off to either music or a film on TV thankfully husband comes up and switches it off so no shock when I wake up.

Good to hear that you have mastered sleeping

• Posted

Hard one and will improve in time. Even when sleeping better I am still tired as everything is more effort. A bedtime routine helped me and also a routine for when i woke up did the same thing, got up, went to toilet, took a tablet, iced and got back into bed. Lying resting is still good for you even if not asleep. It will pass. 
  • Posted

I don't sleep either. Best of luck to you... I nap in the day. And night is hopeless. I try sleep on side with pillow in between knees. But it's real hard. Hope your recovery goes smooth...
  • Posted

I have been using my  I pod  I have nice soothing music on which really helps, also I think it puts something else in my head besides how rubbish I feel. I also use lavender oil on my pillow, but the best advice I have been given is sleep at ant opportunity you get. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.