Post UFE - 3 months and 3 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now 3 months 3 weeks post UFE. I am 40 years old. One of my fibroids measures 11 x 12 cm and is pressing on my bladder. I am still experiencing a dull ache. I can't bend down without having alot of pain. I am taking Naproxen. I have tried to come off the painkiller but it is no use. I went to urgent care clinic back in September where I was put on antibiotics and given the Naproxen. I have contacted the hospital where the UFE was done and had MRI scans. I should know the result tomorrow. I find the hospital is just following the 1 month then 3 month etc follow up protocol and don't seem to want to acknowledge my discomfort. Did anyone else have issues with their fibroids at 3 months post UFE? What did you do to overcome it. The hospital are very reluctant to do surgery because of my weight. I am fed up.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

Is the pain when you bend down coming from your Fibroid or from the heaviness of the Fibroid on your back? 

For me, I didn’t have pain about a week after the UFE but I do know the weight of 10 my fibroids caused me so much back pain. I had muscle spasms, etc. The biggest Fibroid of mine was sitting on my bladder too making me run to the bathroom a lot. 

My dr told me it could take up to one year before all the fibroids die and shrink and it’s been 8 mths for me post opp and I see a huge difference. 

Do you feel like something went wrong in the procedure or do you think the Fibroid is still pretty large causing you pain? 

Hope you get some answers from your dr soon. 

• Posted

The pain is in the centre of my tummy. My largest fibroid is now dead and has shrunk by 25%. But I also have an ovarian cyst which is 5 x 6 cm on the right side. Not sure if it's fibroid or cyst or both that's causing the pain.

• Posted

That’s so weird. I have pain on my right side too and I don’t know if it’s a cyst or Fibroid either. Want to see my Obgyn to request an ultra sound. 
  • Posted

I am 8m post UFE. Like you, I had major bladder issues and a bladder infection that couldn’t clear because of my fibroids. They stretched my uterus to a 7 1/2 month pregnancy!

Anyhow, I shrunk 28% at 6 months. One of my fibroids are still getting blood sad. The symptoms for my bladder are about 70% better. I remember thinking it failed at 4 months too. Hang in there. 

I am considering removing them now laproscopically. It seems that it could be done easier now that there is no blood flow into most of my fibroids. Thinking about it ...

• Posted

I saw the UFE consultant yesterday. My largest fibroid (11 x 12 cm) is dead and has shrunk by 25%. I have been referred back to gynae to see if it can now be removed. My ovarian cyst on my right side has grown some more and is now 5 x 6 cm, so I am hoping that can be removed too. I hope all of this could be done via key hole surgery. The gynae is not keen on doing surgery as he says it's too risky but I can't go on like this. Fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.