Post UFE - and you all were right!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't want to be too quick on the draw, but I'm 7 days post UFE and the pain is finally gone. No need for a strong dose of ibuprofen (600 mg) or acetaminophen (paracetamol, 1000 mg) today. This drug mix was recommended on one of the more than 30 discussion threads I read through on this site about having a UFE and it got me through the worst of it after my doctor couldn't administer a planned nerve block during my procedure.

I'm so glad I found this board before the procedure since there was little "real" discussion about what I might face after the medical part was done. My IR was very forthcoming with what the procedure would be like but, of course, he left off all the important stuff, such as discharge, hard labor-like cramping, hot flashes, how to avoid constipation, exhaustion, not feeling much like a "woman" and so forth.

Thankfully, several of the people on this board did talk about these things in great detail and it has helped me tremendously! For example, I didn't panic over the slight fever especially since there was no odor with the icky discharge - something you guys warned me about. I wasn't surprised that after four days I still needed some pain meds, and knew I could likely get by with the ibuprofen/acetaminophen combination.

Today, I'm mostly pain free with a few twinges here and there but nothing a deep breath won't get me through. Now, I'm praying I can add to the success stories on here after some time has passed and I lose lots of weight. (Big smile)

Right now, I feel like I made the right choice for me in my situation - 51 yo, 4 healthy, grown kids, one fibroid that was sitting on bladder and causing urgency and back pain and a monthly menstrual cycle that left me anemic and exhausted for the better part of 10 years. Thank you, great ladies, for sharing your stories, your wisdom and your wishes for all of us to be fully healthy women. God bless you all in your journey to better health!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

WOW am so happy for you and grateful for this forum indeed.. thanks for sharing your story. Keep us posted on your progress. Wishing you the best all the way to complete healing!

💞

• Posted

Thank you for the well wishes. It really means a lot. Yes, this forum (and some of your posts) helped me tremendously and even gave me info to soothe my husband's fears. I was able to answer a lot of the questions I couldn't get answered by the medical establishment especially those "uncomfortable" topics that some doctor's don't seem to think are important enough to cover. I love that the ladies here talk about EVERYTHING in an honest and often thoughtful way. By that, I mean that they think about what the rest of us may want to know and are so open about describing and talking about it. So glad I found this.

• Posted

I am setting up my UFE now. I plan to use this combination also so I don’t have to worry when I get home.

• Posted

I can attest to it working for me and better than the heavier meds in my case. Do follow your doctor's orders for the prescribed pain meds and stay with them for the full time recommended. I tried to wean off on the 5th day thinking the worst was over and was doubled over in pain by dinner. The cramping comes in waves, so be aware that you may feel fine at one point in the day and then not so much later on. I pray your procedure goes perfect and does all it's supposed to for you to get on to a speedy, full recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.