Post urethrotomy and using a flip-flow catheter valve

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with urethral stricture (scar in the urethral). I had an optical urethrotomy to cut the scar and a flip-flow catheter left in place for two weeks whilst I heal. They normally leave it for 5 days but due to covid the next available appointment was 2 weeks. They said I would experience bleeding and a burning sensation when peeing. they also advised i drank alot.

Whilst healing i was going to the bathroom frequently. I went 6 times in an hour. I would only urinate for like 5-10 seconds and then 5 -10 minutes later i needed to go again. I felt discomfort whenever i sat down for more than 20mins. Mobility was not easy at all. I had to be very careful or I would get stabs of pain in the penis (probably caused by the catheter). Its only been 3 days but tomorrow i plan to go A & E if the symptoms i am getting stay the same or get worse. I spoke to a nurse on the phone but she wasn't sure and told me "only a doctor could answer".

Has anyone had similar experience. i dont want to kick up a fuss incase i just need to be patient and could makes things worse. But did anyone else still need to use the toilet as though as you still had the stricture?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

When did you have the Urethrotomy? It could be your bladder is still inflammed or you may have developed prostatitis. Where was your stricture located, and how long was it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.