post urolift self cathing air bubbles in urine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am two weeks past the procedure and only get drips when i try to pee starting after 7th day. Improved to fast drips and short stream for a short time then i have to self cath to drain my bladder. Doctor said prostrate was swollen from the procedure and i have to give it time. he gave me a steroid pack to take to help with the swelling. What concerns me is the little bit i pee the urine in the toliet looks like it is filled with air bubbles that wont go away, but the urine in the bottle from the cathator looks normal. Happen to anyone else? Any ideas?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Bigd1,

Are you sure the bubbles you are seeing have come from your urinary system? If the collected urine is clear, I would guess that what you are seeing in the toilet is foam produced by the impact of your urine stream.

Best of luck, alan86734.

• Posted

I hope your right alan but from what i read the bubbles would occur when the urine passes through your penis from your bladder. With a cathator it goes right from your bladder to the collection bottle.

• Posted

I had some foamy urine even with my catheter in. It was less foam than when I peed in the toilet, but it was there.

Except the bubbles does your urine look clear otherwise?

• Posted

I had PAE. After my catheter was removed my urine was foamy for a few weeks, and them I could hardly pee may e becaus of UTI. I asked my urologist about the bubbles and he told me it was because my prostate was getting smaller. Who knows. Urolift, however, does not make the prostate smaller. Bubbles also could be a sign of an infection. I would also recommend to request CT scan to check for a fistula just in case. I have read that if there is a fistula the gases from the colon could enter your bladder to make these bubbles. It is very unlikely you have a fistula, but to be on a save side it is better to check.. Request also urine test and please post the results. I'd then compare them with mine own. I do hope that it will clear up in a few days even before the tests are ordered. Please let us know how it is going.

• Posted

I will but my next appointment isnt until a week from today. Going to a different doctor to get a secod oppinion. my doctor said i havent peed yet because my prostrate is swollen . All i get right is drips and a short stream. He said i promise you you will pee again. Always was able to before procedure but today is 2 weeks and not much progress.

• Posted

he might be right about swollen prostate.

Could you contact him by phone or email?

Another unlikely scenario that still worth checking is your kidneys function. . Foamy urine could mean you have protein. Please read this article

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

FYI, I had a Urolift that did not help me. My experience with bubbles in my urine is usually related to something I ate, drank, or some medicine. The bubbles would occur when my urine hit the water in the toilet and not inside my penis. I would not think air would come from your bladder or in your penis, except maybe after a cystocopy.

• Posted

The bubbles that appear when urine hits the water will disappear almost at once. The bubbles that stay could indicate a problem or they could not. If it continues this way it ought to be discussed with a doctor.

• Posted

Today began to have a very week but steady stream for the first time but bubbles are still present. This is my 15th day post procedure and this seems to be best progress i have had even though it is week stream at least it is more than drips. I do have a question though. Does anyone know when you can do normal activities such as ride a bike or lift more than 10 lbs. as they tell you in the beginning? After 2 weeks i would think you should be able to go back to normal.

• Posted

no had 1 morning i thought it was starting to improve now back to just drips again. Really getting sick of this.

• Posted

sorry you see no improvement. Do you still have air bubbles? When you use a catheter do you get a strong stream or it is still a weak stream? If you get a rather weak stream even with a catheter it night be some kind of debris that prevent you from urinating normally.

• Posted

My Urologist did not tell me anything after my Urolift, not even when I could have sex.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems following the Urolift.

Can I ask, could you pee okay before the procedure? Has the procedure made it worse in that respect?

I ask because I am shortly to undergo the same procedure. I was under the impression that, in most cases, a cather was not required and that you should be 'good to go' without one.

I hope your condition improves rapidly.

Best wishes.

Steve.

• Posted

Yes i was able to pee ok before the procedure but wasnt emptying my bladder sll the way. I had a cathitor for 1 day and then have been self cathing ever since. My doc says everybody is different and i have to give it time. I have an appionment with a different doctor this week for a second oppinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.