Post Urolift still not urinating

Posted , 11 users are following.

Update on my procedure. It has been 2 weeks 4 days post procedure and still only get drips and once in a while little week stream. Cathing 3 times a day usually get 550 cc from overnight and about 350 to 450 during the day. Going for 2nd oppinion from new uroligist this thursday to see if he thinks it is swollen and needs more time like my doc says. Very skeptical

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Any time the prostate is radiated, steamed, lasered, cut, etc. there is going to be some swelling. Everyone reacts differently. In my case I had radiation for prostate cancer and the swelling completely cut off the urine flow for 5-6 weeks. In April I had a bipolar TURP and there was some swelling, so despite a lot of prostate tissue having been cut away, it still took time for the swelling to resolve and my flow to increase. Since it has only been a couple of weeks for you no surprise that it is taking time for your prostate to "settle down". You are fortunate that you are able to CIC. Now, if you still can't pee after a few more weeks then this would be something to be concerned about.

• Posted

Tom,

Are there any drugs (steroids?) that they can administer to "speed up" the process and reduce the inflammation?

As I understand it, HoLEP takes away the entire area surrounding the urethra, and so long term CIC or wearing a catheter is almost always avoided.

My prostate is big (140 cc, maybe 150) and although I have had FOUR negative 3T mpMRIs, a 4KScore of 3%, and PSA density of < 0.04 and free PSA of 31%, my urologist wants to do a saturation biopsy under anesthesia. My phi score has crept up and he's not comfortable.

I had/still have a bad response to my 2015 biopsy.

If I have a saturation biopsy, as you say, the prostate will swell and I may need a catheter. And it could be for nothing if no cancer is found.

And you can't do HoLEP or any procedure while the prostate is swollen with blood.

When you had your radiation, did they give you anything to reduce the swelling?

Or is it just a matter of time and the body has to heal on its own?

Thank you, Tom.

Michael

• Posted

Michael,

I am not aware of anyone taking meds to reduce prostate swelling after various procedures. As you mentioned, HoLEP has benefits that other procedures don't have. If you have HoLEP the tissue samples will be sent to the lab for analysis, and this avoids having a saturation biopsy. I had two 12 core biopsies and am happy I never have to do that again. I understand why your urologist wants to do the biopsy, but your PSA rise may be entirely due to your prostate size and growth. The fact that you have had four MRIs plus the other good reports that indicate very low or no chance of prostate cancer is another reason to be very cautious about getting the biopsy.

After my radiation for the prostate cancer I was not given anything to reduce the swelling. I had two HD Brachytherapy treatments (operations) and after the second operation (on a Friday) I went into total retention on Sunday - had to go to the ER in intense pain. Didn't really understand what was happening. After that it took 5-6 weeks for the swelling to go down, and during that time had to be on Foley catheters - I have told this story here before.

So, back to your original questions: once the prostate swells up, I am not aware of anything that is prescribed to reduce this.

Seems like you are leaning toward HoLEP. That appears to be a solid choice for you. Once that operation is over and you get your laboratory report back, then you can decided what to do next if any cancer is detected in the sample tissue.

Tom

• Posted

3 MONTHS since my turp procedure unable to work due to nature of my employment I'm pleased to say i am returning to work next week my flow is better than ever may be the success of my procedure or the fact i am on Tamulosin either or i am extremely grateful to my urologist and his team at Darlington Memorial Hospital

• Posted

Hi John 74053 I had turp and the first two months afterwards, I was still cathing...The consultant told me it may be swelling or my bladder was too far gone.... now three months and things are really improving. I have not cathed for two weeks....

Did your flow improve immediately or did you have problems after your op.? Did you have retention beforehand..Hope you don`t mind me asking.

& I agree with tom86211 about waiting a while. Personally, In hindsight I was way to impatient but then who do you ask and where to get good information....I get more from this site than anywhere else.! Doctors/consultants become way to complacent over time...

• Posted

Patients is a virtue i was in doubt whether procedure was a success around about 4 weeks after procedure i saw my GP we discussed tamsulusin it worked for me

• Posted

I was urinating better straight away after urolift though sadly it went back to square one after about 5 months. In my case the prostate has just grown round the clips as confirmed by cystoscopy.

I hope you get some info this Thursday though the new uro will no doubt have to take a look and see what is happening; good luck.

• Posted

went to new doc today and he told me to give it 3 more weeks and if there is no inprovement by then he would have to do a cryostopy and see inside. he perscribed me tamoulisn and said he thought i might do ok . fingers crossed

• Posted

Good luck Bigd1...I know from experience it can be a frustrating time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.