Post viral fatigue more than once?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! looking for some advice/ personal experiences of getting post viral fatigue more than once.

Brief history:

• Glandular fever 5 yrs ago (months of post viral fatigue but made a recovery)
  • Unlucky enough to get it again 😦 2 yrs ago (months of post viral fatigue) but recovered and felt good

i know this is common but stupidly recently got very burnt out & developed a burn out type reaction to a virus & that is where post viral fatigue appeared again. I've heard this recoccurence of PVF can happen, but would be great to hear people's positive and helpful experiences!

I am slowly improving with gradual exercise & complete rest.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My usual question. Were your prescribed Cipro or Fluoroquinolone antibiotics at that time as CFS and Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome have very similar symptoms.

• Edited

I couldn't count the number of times I've had significant recoveries. I am getting better at it, but I am getting older too.

The biggest thing I am working on now is my typical winter setback.

• Posted

how long does it normally last? I'm sure i will recover but it is taking ages

• Posted

It varies, a bad flu can last for two months and take six to fully recover from.

Exercising so you are tired for a day is okay. It used to be i had to exercise every day. My theory is that I was burning off chronic stress hormones. Average daily step counts are a good way to monitor recovery.

• Edited

thank you. I have had glandular fever twice (post viral fatigue both times) this time i dont know what caused it (a virus). It was a stressful time though. I'm doing gradual exercise- been 3 months- had a few bad days so it is a bit up and down. Trying to slowly increase. Did GP ever know why you kept getting it? Do you work full time now? So sorry for questions

• Posted

I'm thinking of trying to go back to work. My theory is that everyone has the effects, but ME is definitely at a higher level. I think what happens is that the problems are severe enough that you don't heal.

My previous two winters have been very hard.This winter has been better but if I get Covid 19 it could become worse.

• Posted

ok. Yes good luck keeping well. I haven't been diagnosed with that as after glandular fever i returned completley to full health s hoping same happens after this. That virus has made my body more vulnerable though so will take more care now.

• Posted

Just keep doing the things that make you better and avoid the things that make it worse. Challenging yourself a little bit is good. For me that all changes a bit over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.