Post viral lactose intolerance? Please respond :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so exactly 6 weeks ago I got sick and tested positive for norovirus 2 weeks later. It took me forever to feel better and I've been having loose stools once or twice a day. Today I had full blown diarrhea about two hours after having a yogurt. I'm worried because I'm going on vacation in two weeks and want to be better. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think it's possible that lactose intolerance after a virus could last this long?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You probably still have noro virus or its effects. 

Yogurt in general should be good, unless its mixed with other things. 

Its nothing to do with lactose intolerance, if you been able to tolerate it before.

• Posted

Well the reason I asked is because I read that sometimes after a bad gi infection people can become lactose intolerant.
  • Posted

Lactose breath test takes out the guess work. ;-) Many adults are having some intolerance anyway since we are not babies anymore in need to digest lactose via lactase, hence produce less lactase in gut mucosa.

(you can also test lactase activity directly in a colon biopsy, but that's gone a bit far.)

All the best, 

watching what you eat and how you react will also tell you a lot of some aftermaths. Some virus damage can go as long as a year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.