Post viral syndrome fatigue after flu/illness - please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm a 21 year old male who's currently a college student. I came down with a sore throat and a common cold which dissipated after a few days. The following day I went to the gym feeling if I was over my cold to do some light treadmill cardio; the moment I got on going maybe 2 mph I felt an exhausting painful fatigue. I went back home after 10 mins and layed down for 3 hours until I felt better. The next 2 days I rested and felt way better as time was passing. It was midterm exams week too. The night before I had one exam, I had to print a paper and pick up dinner from the local school cafe. The moment I left the house and started walking I felt god awful just painful to walk to the library. When I was waiting for my food, I almost passed out. I felt very very tired and it was almost unbearable. I went back home feeling like crap until I slept. The following day my symptoms doubled and it felt like a flu; entire body was aching and dead tired, wobbling when I walk, etc. l called a hotline nurse who advised me to rest in bed for 2 days then get checked. I also have been instructed to eat bland foods as I had no appetite that day. Around 3 PM that afternoon, I felt like dying; the fatigue was very very strong I honestly felt better if I was dead. I somehow calmed down and I called the school doctor who said it's some sort of recovery stage after a flu or illness. The following day I felt better but I was dead tired. I layed in bed all day and I didn't dare leave the house after what I experienced two nights ago. I was just getting more and more exhausted as the day went by. The next day I woke up from a good nights sleep and I felt very weak and dead tired. It was scaring me because I have pretty bad OCD anxiety. I called 9-11 since I was unsure if it was something more then I thought. The ER drew blood and then the doctor told me it was considered "post viral syndrome". He said there isn't a recovery time but the idea is to rest and drink water like I didn't know that. He advised me to walk to get my energy back but I still was worried about doing that. I was discharged after an hour and I felt almost death when I got home. I just did not know how to bare the crazy fatigue. I calmed myself by listening to a strong prayer and had tomato soup which helped. Today i still am tired and I am looking for that moment of energy. I need it back. I need to resume my life and career. I read that it could take a week but some forums say it took months. I do not have months. I cannot halt my education because of some stupid insane unbearable fatigue. Does ANYBODY have any profession opinion on the recovery of this? Any bright ideas? I've been managing my stress well and trying to eat more bland foods too with nutrients. My sleep also has been great; no interruptions. I am drinking lots of water since I get thirsty from this. I've never felt this in my life either. Please help. Any advice suffices. 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

how long did it take you to fully recover?

• Posted

For the flu fatigue issue? The moment I ate some food I was back to normal. If you do get sick, you really have to force food down and thats pretty much it. Crazy to think about but I have been sick free since then.

• Posted

amazing! i also have the fatigue and the weird swelling in my throat, how did you say you got rid of that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.