Posterior and anterior repair - 6 days post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I am 6 days post op, first few days I did not feel too bad but Day 3 started feeling unwell, went back to docs on the following day and given antibiotics for infection. I feel totally exhausted and just wondering if this is normal. I had abdominal hysterectomy last year and although in pain I do not recall feeling this wiped out a week on. Be great to hear from others who have been through similar surgery. I was told although it was a significant surgery it was not as big as the hysterectomy 

Thank you. 

Tracey xx 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey

I had an enterocele repair 5 days ago & I was told by my Consultant it was a major operation & your feeling of exhaustion sounds to me that you are doing too much far too soon.

I'll try to put on the table I was given to guide you on what you should do week by week.

Listen to your body & rest, rest, rest.

Jennie xx

• Posted

Unfortunately, this website won't let me copy & paste the chart. I know someone put some advice on here a few years ago, I'll try to find it. xxx

• Posted

http://southtees.nhs.uk/content/uploads/45-MICB4807-V1-Advice-Prolapse-Surgery.pdf

This is the link. Hope you can get it. xxx

• Posted

Hi Jennie

Thank you so much for your reply. 

It’s good to hear from someone going through a similar recovery. I’m not able to do much at all. I’ve had a short walk with my husband to get some fresh air as he is back to work tomorrow. I’ve laid on the sofa the rest of the day. I’m really concerned about the infection. The doc said I need to give the antibiotics time and I guess I’m only 3 days into a 7 day course but I feel wiped out

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Tracey 

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Sorry to hear you have had a bad run.  An infection would hold back any recovery. On day 6 I was just on my bed all day  horizontal except for a few short walks around house.  Comparing hyster with 2 x repair is no point.  I've had both and more and they all are painful and take a slow road to recovery.

Hang in there it is very early days.

Peta

• Posted

Hi Peta

Thank you for the support. I didn’t really have any complications after the hysterectomy but I guess every surgery is different.  I will keep taking the meds and resting. 

Xx Tracey xx 

• Posted

Where's your infection? Your repairs are major surgery. Is it the pain meds wiping you out? 

• Posted

Hi Robyn

The more I’ve read since the surgery the more I realise it is another major operation only 9 months after abdominal hysterectomy. The pre assessment nurse said it was a step down from the hysterectomy so I think I underestimated just how big a think it is to go through. 

I feel so much better reading everyone’s comments. Thank you 💗. The external stitches become infected and I tore a bit after a bm basically got stuck half out,  Sorry if that’s tmi. They bled a lot and got infected 🙁. Today, although still wiped out I feel a little better 👍🏼  So am hoping day 4 of antibiotics, they are doing a good job. Xx 

Tracey xx 

• Posted

Hi Tracey im also 6 days po posterior repair and feel awful.  I too have had a hysterectomy a few years back and i swear this bowel prolapse repair is worse.  My consultant did say its an awful operation and very painful.  Im finding it more painful than hysterectomy.  I cant walk as i get so much pain in my bottom.  Feels like i got a golf ball shoved up there lol.  Spend majority of my time lying on my side and going stir crazy.  Im totally exhausted too and this is normal.   Pain is getting me down i have to say
    • Posted

Hi Lindsey

I came home from hospital day4 with inadequate pain medication. Just panadol didn't cut it for 2 days and then day 7 dawned and pain settled to a manageable level so I hope day 7 is a turning point for you.!

• Posted

Oh i do hope not looking hopeful at moment.  Ive got consultant appt monday next week so if nothing improves im hoping he will help.  Its reassuring to hear that yours is getting less, thanks for letting me know.  

• Posted

Re my previous post meant to say i do hope so lol.  Dont know how to edit messages if you can once posted, new to all this. Lol 
    • Posted

I suppose what I didn't say was maybe a call to consultants to get stronger meds. Next Monday is a week away. If your pain is managed you can relax more. I also spent most of my time lying on my side. Less pressure.

Get what you need don't suffer it out. 

• Posted

Hi All

I’m now 2 weeks post op and definitely much better. My external stitches did get a nasty infection but I’m glad to see that’s cleared. I do have consultant appointment this evening and will still attend as I have been getting dragging feeling down the front which is worrying me slightly. The pain in my bottom is much improved thank goodness and I can sit instead of lying although still very carefully. I am still tired but do feel more positive. The first 10 days have been much more challenging than the hysterectomy 

I hope you all heal well and that surgery is a success 

Tracey xx 

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Hope you are ok about the feedback you would have received  from your appointment .

• Posted

Hi. 

Couldn’t go in the end as had a bad stomach. My consultant has a few weeks holiday so I’m re booked for the end of the month.  If I’m still worried before then I’ll make an appt with my GP. 

Hope you’re ok

Tracey xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.