Posterior & Anterior Repair 14 Days Post Op

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi There,

Has Anyone Experienced Trouble With Weeing After Op.

Had Catheter Removed 24 Hours After Op Went Straight into Retention.

Catheter Put Back In For One Week Within 24 Hours Of Having It Out Back into Retention.

So Catheter Now Back In For Another 9 Days.

Just Wondering Has Anyone Had The Same Problem?

Between The Post Op Pain And Wondering If My Bladder Is Ever Going To Work Again Feeling A Little Down With It All.

Many Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

just seen your post...  Will keep it brief as only just returned from a colonoscoopy and feeling a little worse for wear but I wanted to re-assure you as I suffered with bladder problems after prolapse surgery for rectocele and cystocele.  I had exactly the same as you and could not wee after surgery.  I was terribly anxious about it.  In the end I had a catheter for 6 weeks following surgery and like you was petrified that my bladder would never work again. BUT the good news is that it did come back and start working after 6 weeks and am absolutely sure yours will do the same or start working even sooner.  What I would say is keep an eye on the catheter and if anything does not feel right call the ward or hospital you were at as I was a little unfortunate and had a blockage with the catheter which caused me alot of pain and I had troubles in reaching the hospital (which by the way was private) but finally had to go back in for them to unblock it and saw immediately relief after that had happened.  Please do not assume that will happen to you, it probably wont but just wanted to mention it incase anything does happen, it can be remedied.  They also gave me something called a flip flo valve to help try and train the bladder and detruser back into working.  If there is anything else I can help with please let me know. I was really in a bad way with the catheter and was petrified I would never get back to normal but I did and you will too..  sending you all good thought and best wishes for a very speedy recovery.. hope this goes some way to help.  kindest
    • Posted

Hi Lorelli,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Sorry to here your not well wishing you a speedy recovery.

Yes I have to be honest I have been really concerned as the other ladies having the same surgery managed to wee as soon as their catheter had been removed.

Mine obviously needs a little more rest.

I have never heard of a flip flow valve I will mention this to them on the 4th April.

I think they should mention this may happen after this type surgery. As this really has worried me.

Thanks again Lorelli you have been of great help.

Kind Regards.

Wendy.

• Posted

no problem my dear.  It doesnt happen to that many people but we are amongst the few that it did happen to.  All the ladies on my ward were fine too apart from me!  I was beside myself as the reason I had the surgery was mainly because I could not stop weeing and felt constant urge and pressure on bladder then suddenly after the surgery I could not pee atall which really is frightening but it will all come back.. It just takes time and the detruser muscles tighten up and stop almost from the shock of the surgery so it just needs time to rest and it will all come back.  I used to go back weekly to for a trial where they removed the catheter and I spent the day there drinking walking and trying to wee but it didnt happen until the 6 week mark.  

The flip flow was given to me after 3 weeks.. The idea is to use it from time to time so it builds up pressure in the bladder and helps things along a little more.  What made it worse for me is that I had no aftercare whatsoever from the uro gynae (private in Harley Street) who operated and she was not available to help or answer any questions infact she did not even warn me that there was even a slight chance of me not being able to wee after surgery. My catheter got blocked twice - once where I had 1400ml stuck in my bladder which could not pass through the cath and I thought it was the end for me the pain was quite literally unbearable.  I had to rush back to harley street to be admitted as an emergency and even then the nurse could not remove and unblock my cath until she had spoken to my uro gynae who was never available and in the end thankfully because I was screaming in pain, the nurse on the ward thought to contact the anaesetist on her mobile who authorised her to remove and unblock the cath which immediately relieved me of the most intolerable pain I ever endured. You would not believe what I went through but I wanted to respond to you today because I really know how you must feel as I felt exacly the same but it will all right itself for you.  If there is anything you are worried about just email me anytime or If you PMessage me I can send you my mobile number.  Sending you all good and healing wishes.

• Posted

Please do not for one moment get worried about the same happening to you. I am SURE it wont but if you feel any pain or that things are not right, call the consultant or go back to the ward to let them know asap. xxx
    • Posted

Hi Lorelli,

Just as you explained the pain is unbearable when retention happens.

I was holding 1500mls the first time then both 1000mls second and third time all since the 12th March.

Never mind hopefully better days to come! Lol.

Many thanks.

Wendy.

• Posted

is the cath working okay now?  I used to sleep with the bag attached to my leg each night and just empty as it filled up otherwise it started to cause me pain but I have an added condition of diabetes insipidus so I produce much more urine than most which didnt help any.  I had the tube taped to my leg.  I will never forget it.  It will calm down and your bladder may even come back much sooner than mine did.  When do you return for a trial for them to remove cath to see if you can wee?
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes the Cath is working fine at the moment.

I also have a leg Cath for the day and a night Cath which holds up to 1000mls so at least I'm not up and down at night.

It must of been hard on you to get up and down to empty Cath at night.

I'm back in hospital on the 4th April as a day patient for trial.

Fingers crossed this time around I will be able to wee on my own.

Thank you take care.

Wendy.

• Posted

Hi

I had no issue after my anterior repair, however it is normal for some to have this.the bladder doesn't like being handled so cash Get bruised.. This will settle soon I'm sure.x

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your information what you both say all makes sense.

Will get there soon I'm sure.

I'm having a lot of stabbing pains pulling and stinging down there at the moment.

Still can't sit upright only feel comfortable on my side.

Fingers crossed tight for Wednesday hopefully catheter will be removed.

Thanks for all your help and support ladies.

Kind regard and speedy recovery to you all!x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.