Posterior Approach

Posted , 13 users are following.

People keep telling me the PA is the old way and it takes a lot longer to recover due to the fact the large muscles are cut. I’m told the AA is far better for a quicker recovery as the muscles are simply held back.

I’m due the PA as my surgeon says he much prefers this way to get easier access to the hip. Anyone had this method recently??  Thanks

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Sarah 😀

Can't help you at the moment as I'm still waiting for my thr early next year, just wanted to say good luck with your OP and all the best with your speedy recovery. Keep in touch.

Stay safe and keep yaself well.

Pete 😃

• Posted

Hi. I just had my second AA. All my doctor has told me is that the anterior approach has a quicker recovery and less muscle that is cut into. The only thing you can’t due is bring that ankle over and onto your opposite knee as that will cause a displacement. 

He’s done over 800 HRs and I would assume he knows what is best for his patients. The PA may be the easier way to do it. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah: my left hip was resected in December 2016 using the PA. I was off my feet for 8 weeks due to the fact they also had to put an implant and remove the old hip that only lasted 21 years. Same surgeon did my right hip in JUly and I am back to work full time, gym every day, gardening and almost 100 percent back. My surgeon prefers the PA because it is easier access to the hip and the scar runs vertical. No more painkillers and no worries about how much I can do in one day. I did physio to the day before my surgery and I was in the pool a week after my staples came out. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Claudia, your reply gives me hope but you are the third person on here to say you did physio right up until your operation.  What physio did you do because I myself am in so much pain it’s all I can do to get from one side of a room to the other. And that’s with a pronounced limp and gritted teeth.  There is no way on this earth I could do any physio at the moment.
    • Posted

Sarah -I was one of those who did physio right up until the day before surgery, I believe it helped me as I was in soooo much pain, somewhat like you, but I would never try to compare, we are all individuals.

I went to our local heated pool, needed a wheelchair to get there, the pool staff were wonderful, and helped me get in the pool, and then with a pool noodle, under my arms, gently gently tread water in the deep end of the pool, so no chance of weight bearing, did some rowing with my arms and allowed legs to relax, and then went back to treading water, I did not want to get out of the pool, as the relief from pain I got was amazing.

It paid off even the physio's noticed how strong i was post surgery, the morning after surgery, standing and telling them how good I felt, all the pain was gone in my hip, YES I had pain where they had cut into the side of my hip, and sore muscles from the wrenching and dis-location of the hip joint they have to do, but other than that a huge difference to the better, and YES I did have pain relief, could not have moved without it.

• Posted

Wow. I don’t think there is a heated pool near me. We have swimming baths/leisure centres but the baths are quite chilly. It’s a bit late for me now but I will be sure to make some enquiries about this. Thanks for info Lyn. 
    • Posted

Maybe even the hospital has a heated pool you can use, as long as its not tooo far for you to travel.

Ours is a shared expense arrangement between hospital, Football league club, and city council, so we all have the use of it for about $3.00 a visit for pensioners.

Hospital Staff are there working out with patients and teaching them exercises, football players doing their post match exercises, really friendly and lots of noise and laughs as we all tease and encourage and help each other with hints we have learned, especially us more experienced and long term users of the pool, and we have got to know the staff of the pool, and lifesavers wandering around.

Husband was able to help lady with her swimming, she just could not understand what the coach was trying to show her, husband was already wet, and was able to show her side by side exactly what the coach was trying to explain, with coaches permission of course, problem solved in a few mintes.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I like Lynn was doing physio to the day prior to surgery. I had one good hip that was resected in December 2026 and was bearing most my weight on that hip since my right hip had locked. As soon as my staples came off into the heated pool I went,still using a walker since I could not weight bear. I have been doing physio in the pool for almost 4 months. My limping is gone. My pain is gone. I continue doing all my exercises 2x per day and keeping my weight under control. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Very mild, no weight bearing in the deep end of the pool. Gently moving legs, stretching, doing circles and loosening pelvis. Nothing strenuous. The pool I go to had trained staff and different levels. Do what you can as long as it does not hurt and then slowly increase. I was bone on bone so every step on land hurt like hell even on morphine. It took only the edge off. Now I can do everything and not cringe in pain.
  • Posted

My surgeon claimed that the hip tends to pop out more with the posterior approach. And also, as you have stated, the muscles are cut. I had anterior almost 3 months ago. Whichever path you choose, I hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

The PA worked brilliantly for me and I had no restrictions after the op, except no one told me for four weeks! I was really worried about nerve damage that is apparently more likely to happen with AA as the surgeon is more limited with space in accessing the hip.
    • Posted

Phew! Your reply was very much welcomed after reading Carol’s. That’s all I need for my hip to pop out sad sad
  • Posted

I switched surgeons because the one that I really, really liked did not do the AA. I spoke with several people who agreed that the AA was more likely to afford an easier initial recovery. I am due for my second hip surgery in a few months and I will opt for the AA again.

• Posted

Hi Anne, I went for whom I was led to believe was the best surgeon who recommended lateral posterior. I had no restrictions after the op and very little pain. Everyone was very surprised at how flexible I seemed to be including myself. I was able to sit at the computer virtually as soon as I got out of hospital so I could do some work from home. I had no nerve problems which seemed to be a lot more likely with the anterior approach.
    • Posted

I haven't had any nerve problems. I still have some numbness around the scar area. Is that an anterior approach problem or does that occur with posterior also? My incision was actually on the side of my hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.