Posterior Approach

Posted , 13 users are following.

People keep telling me the PA is the old way and it takes a lot longer to recover due to the fact the large muscles are cut. I’m told the AA is far better for a quicker recovery as the muscles are simply held back.

I’m due the PA as my surgeon says he much prefers this way to get easier access to the hip. Anyone had this method recently??  Thanks

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had posterior. All my Surgeon has been doing for over 40 years. Best view for him. Restrictions lifted at 6 weeks. After that same recovery as Anterior. Get the best surgeon is what counts 
    • Posted

Hi Steve, the best surgeon at my hospital couldn’t fit me in until next March. That’s how popular he is. So I’m with a newbie who is working to build up his own patient list and working Saturdays to get through the backlog. He seems very very nice and he trained at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore which I’m led to believe is an excellent training school. I couldn’t cope with the level of pain I had to wait until next March so I decided to go along with the new Consultant. 
    • Posted

Sarah - First hip I had a surgeon, who was on a training course with the senior consultant in the hospital I was in, he was wonderful, and did a fantastic job. perfect.

2nd hip I was so relived to hear I was going to get the senior consultant himself, rude nasty man, and he gave me alot of extra length, and then didn't want to know me, even when I had made an appointment to see him specifically, still did not turn up.

Had to see a private consultant that cost me alot of money, and somewhere in that appt, I managed to ask him who trained him, he very proudly told me the senior consultant who had stuffed up my hip, I managed to get into the conversation after he told me my surgery was wrong, that his so called senior consultant was the one who got my surgery wrong. So much for senior consultants. I would take the junior any time.

• Posted

Dear Sarah

The Royal Orthopediac Hospital has an excellent reputation and for my sins I know it well. The reason being that I selected a surgeon there well known for ankle revision surgery.

My replacement total ankle replacement done in Wales five years ago is failing due to a poorly positioned prosthesis and is now a bit of a disaster area. It's an epic to get there but I believe in hunting down the best surgeon for the job and yes it is being done on the NHS.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Sarah, no doubt the younger on is totally trained and experience and sometimes younger is better. Best of luck to you 
  • Posted

Hi, Sarah, as I have written on this forum before, I had anterior in January of 2017. It was NOT easier at first, and it is still not. At 10 months post op, I am still in pain 24/7, still using a cane, and not at all happy with my degree of recovery. I did absolutely everything I was supposed to do, and did physio 3 x week until I used up my entire Medicare benefit. Lost 20 lbs to help, did lots of walking, although being unable to exercise now means I have gained a lot of it back. I now do water exercise only, at least until we can figure out what is wrong (I want to be sure I am not doing it more harm, and more exercise = more serious pain).

I finally went for a second opinion, and am still waiting for results from one of the tests. I feel like I have had to put my life on hold, as I love to travel and am normally very active (I'm 70).

Lots of people have good results with either option, but for sure anterior is not guaranteed "better". My 2nd doc has said he doesn't like the anterior approach, although I never questioned it with the first surgeon, cuz I heard recovery was easier and better. I have since heard from people on this forum and 2 of my healthcare professionals that it can possibly cause more problems.

Everyone is different, my story seems not very typical, but I would discuss pros and cons thoroughly for each approach if you have the option. For sure go with what your surgeon is most comfortable with!

Good luck and speedy recovery!

• Posted

Aww I’m sooo sorry you’re still having wretched pain after all the hope you built up before your op. I can only imagine the distress that must be causing you. I do hope you get some positive answers soon and start to enjoy your life again x x 
    • Posted

I’m so sorry KarmaMama. I really hope that you find comfort with your new hip. I just had the anterior for the second time. My first was a breeze. This one I’m experiencing a lot of discomfort. I don’t know if it’s pain as I’m very pain tolerable. I’m hoping I won’t be needing assistance with walking in the next month but this time it sure feels different and I’m worried. 

I know we all heal differently and even one hip is different from the other. 

Wishing you all the best. Keep us posted. 

• Posted

PS, I will put up with a LOT of pain in my other hip before I agree to have this surgery again. I don't want to discourage you, but this was by far the very worst surgery I have ever had, and I have had many. They sent me home on day 2 (usually it is the first day), and by the next day I was begging them to let me go back to the hospital or to rehab, because I live alone and could not manage the smallest things on my own, like getting in and out of bed. And here I am, 10 months later, still waiting to feel better than before I had surgery - the pain now is less intense, but it previously was intermittment and now it is constant.

If I ever do let anyone touch my other hip, it will be with a posterior approach.

Again, I am NOT typical, so don't be discouraged- you can read a lot of very positive results here. But I just wanted to add that I would not choose AA again., and I think docs who really push it are wrong.

• Posted

Hi, hope you are good.  I came home Thursday only to be readmitted on Saturday with 2 lung blood clots. I was heartbroken. I was short of breathe and luckily I came in. I'm going home tomorrow, so glad. This has all been so overwhelming

Hope you're good.

• Posted

OMG Cyndy!! You poor thing, thank god you are ok and thank god you were able to get in on a Saturday of all days. Did the ambulance come immediately? They’ve got a bit of a reputation for not hurrying up so I hope they shot over to you !!!! XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.