Posterior Malleous Fracture Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone! 5 weeks ago I fractured my ankle hiking, it was nondisplaced and a posterior malleous fracture. No cast or surgery required as everything is lined up and stable amd was put in a walking boot amd NWB.

I just had my follow up to review xrays from my 4 week mark and they show no significant healing. I guess there is some healing but nothing crazy. This is my first time breaking bone and wondering if this is normal sad

I've been elevating almost constantly, swelling has gone down, bruising is easing and in no pain at all. Doctor mentioned that at 6 weeks we may see much more healing but I go back in for xrays next week for a 6 week scan.

Hopefully I'm freaking out over nothing and I ca get back on my feet soon.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gardo, 

I also broke significant bones for the first time ever this year, and it took a long time for them to heal. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 42 and the doctor told me that bones don't heal as well the older you get.  At my 6 week x-ray there was still a very clear separation between the bones with only a very faint shadow of new bone growth. I re-shattered my elbow at 8 weeks into my first recovery so I'm not sure if there would have been more bone growth at that point. Before my second accident the doctor was saying that if she did not see more bone growth she was going to start me on a bone stimulator, and that would help.

The doctor did tell me not to worry, that they only really start to worry after you have had a few months of no bone growth at all. She said health history can play a part in how well your body can grow new bone.

My second accident required surgery and so did my third, so the first break is the only point of reference I have for you.

Also.... my Elbow surgeon told me that anti inflammatories like Ibuprofen, Aleve and many others can play a part in keeping your bones from growing. He would not let me take any anti inflammatories for 3 months after my surgeries. Im not sure if that applies to you, you might ask your doctor. smile

I hope this helps ease your mind a bit, and good luck with your recovery, be kind to yourself. ????

• Posted

Thanks CharlieCats! I'm 31 so hoping my bones heal quick and show some more progress at my 6 week mark smile. I hope you are fully recovered from your injury!

• Posted

7 weeks ago I had broken tibia and fibula left leg and Bimalleolar Fractures right leg. Last week tibia show little sign of bone healing, doctor said is normal at 6 weeks and since I also have skin graft the leg is working overtime. Have a rod in my tibia and 4 screws so I can began weight bearing. My right leg bone has heal on my ankle and last week got out from cast to walking boot. So now I walking with my right leg, need my left leg but my left foot is stiff that I can't bend it to 90 degrees so gonna start physical therapy. I'm 31 years old so I confident that my bones will heal but it will take time. This accident happens at my job so they paying everything right now so I'm not rushing it I'm taking time to heal, that's what important.

Take vitamin D3 and Calcuim, doctor told me I can take them to help healing my bones.

• Posted

Thanks for the insight Selerim86! I've been juicing to get all my vitamins and calcium and such. I appreciate you sharing your story smile

• Posted

No problem, is unfortunate this happens to us but in a year we look back and say good thing I recover. We now have a medical history of broken bones

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.