Posterior Polar Cataracts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

I posted previously about needing two doctors for my cataract surgery and apparently that's still the case, but I thought I should start a different thread about the exact type of cataracts I have.

I was diagnosed with bilateral posterior polar cataracts with a 99% chance of rupture or a hole developing during this surgery and consequently needing a second operation from a retinal specialist.  Needless to say I'm a little concerned.

Apparently these types of cataracts are very rare if not the rarest form of cataracts there are with a high chance of complications during surgery.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of cataract and what were the results from any surgery?

I'm trying to find out the success rate with this type of surgery but googling only comes up with how complex the surgery is and doesn't really say how successful this surgery is.

If this post should be with the other thread I started, please feel free to move it there.

Thank you,

John

0 likes, 10 replies

Report

10 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi John 

    Sorry to hear about your situation. 

    Make sure they do phacoemulsification at 0 speed.

    Hydrodissection should be avoided at all costs. 

    Go to an experienced surgeon or practice that also has a retina specialist on stand by in case vitrectomy is needed. 

    How old are you?  Good luck. 

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Hi John, 

    I’m in your exact same shoes except in addition to posterior polar cataracts I also had Lasik surgery 22 years ago. I had cataract surgery 6 weeks ago on my right eye and I’m scheduled for my second eye this Thursday.

    I researched this topic on the internet for years and years and found very few people who had this same type of cataract. Posterior polar cataracts are indeed rare and yes, more risk is involved because of where the cataract adheres at the back of the lens. 

    I educated myself as best as I could. Went to 4 different ophthalmologist before I decided to move ahead. 

    Glad you reached out on this forum.

    Diane

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Hello Soks and Diane,

    Thank you both for taking the time to post to my thread, especially on a Sunday.

    Soks,  I will definitely discuss the information you provided with my surgeon and see if they concur.

    I will also definitely see an experienced surgeon as I am currently trying to get an appointment at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.  I'm sure they will have a retinal specialist on hand.

    I am 63 years old and I wouldn't do anything if I could help it, but my vision is getting worse and it seems as though I don't have much choice.  If they can't guarantee me some form of success, I might not do anything.  I sure don't want to make things worse than they already are.

    Diane,

    Sorry to hear you're in the same boat that I am.  How did your surgery go?

    Any ruptures while they were doing the surgery and did you need the second operation from a retinal specialist?

    I'm also doing quite a bit of research on this topic so hopefully when I see my next eye surgeon I will be better informed on what to ask.

    Good luck with your next surgery.  

    John

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      Hello Soks,

      Small world, huh?

      I was referred to Dr. Rapuano and Dr. Hammersmith.

      I need to get my local eye doctor to make the referral and I'm having a little trouble getting in touch with him.

      Gotta get the ball rolling, I want to see what these doctors from Wills have to say.

      Thanks for your help,

      John

      Report Reply
  • Posted

    John,

    I am happy to report that my first eye surgery was successful. I'm praying for the same for my second eye. 

    Its very important to have a surgeon who has seen this type of cataract before. Yes they are rare, but not so rare that only a few people have them. 

    I've never been told that the risks of rupture were 99%. Thats too scary to take a chance with. 

    I was born with my posterior polar cataracts (thats what I'm told) and they never bothered me until 5 plus years ago. I was told this is because the age related cataracts started forming.  So on top of the PP cataracts I was also getting the clouding of the lens due to age related cataracts.  Just after Christmas I no longer felt comfortable driving and I went back in to see my doctor and he suggested its probably time to do the cataract surgery. I had put it off for years due to the risk involved.  I live in Michigan. I can give you the name of my doctor if you wish. Feel free to send me a private message for more information if you'd like. I can even give you my phone number. I am willing to help in any way I can to ease your mind. I would have loved to speak to someone who had the same type of cataract beforehand. The internet can be a scary place when you start reading about  all of the risks. And you read about how rare these cataracts are, it can feel pretty lonely too.

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks Diane,

      You're too kind with your offer to help.  Shouldn't be necessary, but thank you.

      I was also told that my cataracts were congenital, and like you, I'm starting to have trouble driving, especially at night, which I've been told not to do.

      Glad to hear your surgery went well.

      Good luck with your next surgery.  Let us know how it goes.

      John

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks Diane,

      You're too kind with your offer to help.  Shouldn't be necessary, but thank you.

      I was also told that my cataracts were congenital, and like you, I'm starting to have trouble driving, especially at night, which I've been told not to do.

      Glad to hear your surgery went well.

      Good luck with your next surgery.  Let us know how it goes.

      John

      Report Reply
  • Posted

    Hey guys,

    Just an update and a question.

    It was recommended to me to see a Dr. George Rosenwasser in Hershey, PA as opposed to going to Wills Eye Hospital.

    This would be a lot closer to my home but I still want to go to the most experienced surgeon with these posterior polar cataracts.

    Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Rosenwasser and if so, how experienced is he in this area?

    My local eye doctor highly recommended him but said if I still wanted to go to Wills Eye Hospital that he would make the referral there instead of with Dr. Rosenwasser.

    I have no idea what to do.

    Thanks,

    John

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Just an update.

    I had both eyes operated on at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia by Dr. Brandon Ayres and everything went great. No retinal specialist was needed as the defect they were expecting wasn't there.

    I can't say enough about Wills and Dr. Ayres, I'm so relieved about both surgeries.

    I was told by a Pittsburgh doctor that there was a 99% chance that I would need two surgeries in both eyes, I guess that makes me a 1%'er.

    Actually I'm just extremely lucky.

    By the way, what a difference in my vision. I can actually see again.

    Thanks Dr. Ayres..........

    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up