Posterior prolapse repair & hysterectomy!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am currently waiting for a posterior prolapse repair operation which should be done early Feb! GP had told me may need hysterectomy but gynocologist I've seen today says not necessary just prolapse repair. Said he would happily do it if I wanted it though. My question is, should I opt for both while having one op or stick with the posterior repair and see how I go! I have a lot of urine leaking problems however he tells me bladder ok?? Very sore when I walk, which I think is due to bulge/pressure. Had a essay ring fitted 2 weeks who which has been a life saver smile

Any advise on length of recovery greatly appreciated as he gave me very little info. I'm 37 with 2 children (13 and 12) 

thanks xx

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello jill. I presume you don't want any more children or the consultant wouldn't have mentioned the hysterectomy. It's difficult for anyone here to make that decision but speaking as someone who had to have a hysterectomy at 37 I have never regretted it. Your recovery time will be the same.
    • Posted

hallo Matron, It is 7 weeks since my rectocele repair.  On the day I went in hospital  the consultant came to see me on the ward and said Hysterectomy  I said no, a rectocele op....He confused me, he may have meant should he remove  uterus too! I'd had no problems or bleeding.. I worry that I should have had it removed as I don't need it due to being 70   Lol....still having bm problems.....seems as though I have a pouch in left buttock and have to push it sideways to expel!  sorry to be so explicit  but worried.... No follow up  date with  consultant..   I note on my  permission form it says 'elective' surgery!   so is that why no follow up,  have a GP appointment next week so will tell of my problems..Disappointed that I am not alright ! 

• Posted

Hello pat. Elective surgery means planned surgery so you should be getting a follow up appointment. Ring your consultants secretary because you shouldn't have to be manually pushing to enable you to have a bm. I suppose if you're not having any problems with your uterus there wasn't any need to remove it but sometimes doctors prefer to just so it doesn't cause problems in the future. 
  • Posted

Hi Jill. I had a hysterectomy/bladder repair at 40 for same reasons as you. I never looked back. I was off work for three months, no lifting, reaching, bending etc. My children, three of them were so helpful doing things I couldn't like cleaning, ironing, anything which was needed really. My hubby took some holiday and helped out the first week I was home which was 10 days after surgery then, (1984)!  I gradually got back to normal but was glad of three months away from work. If you don't want any more children, ever, it's probably your best option to do both at the same time. Best wishes.  Pollyanna UKrolleyes
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, this forum is great. I don't know anyone else who has experienced these problems and feel a bit embarrassed talking to friends! Thank you for your advise smile 

• Posted

Hello, thank you for your reply. No I definitely don't want anymore children! What would be the benefits of a hysterectomy at the same time? I am a private patient so self funding and the cost doesn't go up much for both procedures together.

I would rather have both done at same time but don't want us neccessary operation if not required if you understand. How would a hysterectomy benefit me from a prolapse point of view? 

Thanks xxx

• Posted

I can't see how a hysterectomy would help a rectocele. I thought the only kind of prolapse that a hysterectomy would help is a uterine prolapse. 

I have a rectocele too and have read up a lot and not run across that recommendation.

• Posted

Because you will not have pressure from the womb to contend with at a later date, which is a possibility if you're proan to them. Also will save time if you should need it done later. I had another prolapse, bowel or Rectocele in my fifties and this had to be repaired eventually but I had a good 15 years without all the problems prolapses can cause. I've been told this week that it's not such a good idea for older women to have these ops, (I'm 72 now) as the tissues get weaker with age. I've prolapsed again in the last two years because of that. Not sure of my next step until I've seen the gyne again as they're going to make me Plan! confused Watch this space! lol wink
    • Posted

I also have a mild uterine prolapse hence the initial recommendation! Not at the same grade 4 stage the rectocele is at but will it eventually get worse?? That is my suspicion and do not want to go though another op!

• Posted

Ah, that makes much more sense!  Maybe you could ask your doctor when they guess that you will need a hysterectomy if you don't have one now.   Needing surgery in 5 years is very different than needing it in 30 years.
    • Posted

Having a hysterectomy can prevent a lot of problems in the future particularly malignancy of which cervical cancer is the most common. 
  • Posted

Get a second opinion.  My doctor gave me very little info also, and I regret I had her do the surgery....complications!
    • Posted

Yes I thought about doing that earlier. The problem I have is I am struggling to walk as so sore (grade 4 prolapse) so I have gone private. Can't afford 2nd opinion and if I wait on NHS could be weeks/months!!!! 

Thansk for your reply xx

• Posted

I also had grade 4 prolapse.  It started to affect my kidneys, as the urine backed up because the grade 4 kinked the ureters.  Long story short..I would have gone into kidney failure and needed dialysis if I didn't get the repair.  The docs don't caution about this because it only happens in less than 4% of the patients....but I was one of them...so get a second opinion if you can.  The surgery is difficult,...make sure your doctor has done many of these.  My doctor was young and inexperienced...and I found out that she let the Resident do the surgery.  These young doctors need practice...but not on me anymore.  The only way you can be sure that your doctor will actually do the surgery is to write on the consent form, that you are only consenting if your doctor does the surgery...then sign your initials next to your note.  After that you can sign your name at the bottom of the form, and it will be legal.
  • Posted

Good idea to ask consultant how long before he thinks the uterine prolapse will need doing. It surely will if it's started already! If you're in the UK, I'm sure you will get a true answer. Can't speak for anywhere else though. lol Buy one get one almost free!wink Make your mind up time Jill. Good luck and keep us posted. Xsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.