Posterior prolapse repair & hysterectomy!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am currently waiting for a posterior prolapse repair operation which should be done early Feb! GP had told me may need hysterectomy but gynocologist I've seen today says not necessary just prolapse repair. Said he would happily do it if I wanted it though. My question is, should I opt for both while having one op or stick with the posterior repair and see how I go! I have a lot of urine leaking problems however he tells me bladder ok?? Very sore when I walk, which I think is due to bulge/pressure. Had a essay ring fitted 2 weeks who which has been a life saver smile

Any advise on length of recovery greatly appreciated as he gave me very little info. I'm 37 with 2 children (13 and 12) 

thanks xx

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

See what matron, says I think you can't have that if you're not menopausal. I had forgotten about you being young! I have found calendula cream soothing and effective , from a health shop , also many say coconut oil is good  and now I have the anaesthetic gel which is basically lidocaine  and that can be got on prescription. 

Dp hope you get on ok.

• Posted

I had a posterior repair done Dec.1st without a hysterectomy. If you don't have any irregularities with heavy bleeding or uterine cysts and your gyno says you don't need one, I would not have a hysterectomy. They did my posterior repair vaginally which is so much less invasive than the abdominal cut they go through for a hysterctomy. Today I went for my 7 week followup visit and was released to go back to my regular life without restrictions. I still think I will be cautious for the rest of my life about lifting very heavy objectsand with the choices I make for exercise. The main thing with your posterior repair is to NOT lift anything heavier than a jug of milk and do not get constipated where you have to strain to have a BM. Also do not do any squatting motions as this pulls at the stitches for at least 6 to 8 weeks or for however long your doctor recommends. I did not use any mesh products and my doctor said that in posterior repairs, there is no evidence of mesh helping with the longevity or quality of the repair. Just be sure your doctor knows what he is doing and is talented at doing stitches. A vaginal reconstruction expert did mine and he was brilliant. Very Happy after 2 years of a bulge hanging out of my vagina and back aches and bladder distress. Oh and by the way, when the gyno pulled up my prolapse to tighten and lift my vaginal tissue, the anterior side (bladder side) lifted up as well which helped end some of my bladder issues as well. Best of luck to you with your decision. I am 54 years old.
    • Posted

Very often a hysterectomy is performed vaginally especially if the patient is having a prolapse repair. If it can't be performed that way the consultant will make about 4 tiny incisions in the abdomen (about 1/4 inch wide) and perform the operation laparoscopically. Gone are the days of long incisions unless there's a medical reason for it.
    • Posted

Is a hysterectomy something that they sometimes do while they repair a non-uterine prolapse?  I have a rectocele and I also have heavy periods that cause iron problems.  Taking iron causes constipation and I am worried about how to get enough iron post repair.  A hematologist and iron injections should work, but eliminating the blood loss seems easier.  Is a hysterectomy a sensible option or is that rather drastic?  I am 41 and we won't be having more children.   
    • Posted

It is so easy for a consultant to perform a hysterectomy at the same time, kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. It won't interfere with the recovery time and it won't make you feel any worse in yourself and yes if your baby making days are over it is a sensible option in my opinion. You'll still have your ovaries. Just to add some people get confused between a total and partial (sub total) hysterectomy. A total is removing the uterus and cervix, partial leaves the cervix in place and is much less common. I only mention it because some patients think a total hysterectomy is removing the ovaries but it's not the case, that's an oophorectomy. Apologies if you already know that. 
    • Posted

I am still seriously considering this option for myself as I agree with matron it makes sense to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Consultant said he was happy to do it, the decision was mine! I Have until 5th Feb to decide, I am 37 and don't want anymore children.

I am having an anterior and posterior repair, he said my uterus comes down around 5cm, do you think this is enough to be considered a prolapsed uterus? Obviously my worry is it will only get worse with time and I don not want to be back needing surgery!!!!!!!. He did say that even if he performs a hysterectomy at the same time, my "vagina" could still prolapse in the future so it wouldnt be the end of it completely??? I will be re asking this question when I go for pre op, as I'm confused? What do you think matron?

• Posted

Jill I think you have another reason to seriously consider a hysterectomy, your uterus has started to prolapse albeit slightly but from experience (professional) it will get worse. A vaginal prolapse is quite rare so put that to one side at the moment. Do your research, write all your questions down to ask at your pre op. 
    • Posted

Yes I think you are right, thank you xxx
  • Posted

Hi Ladies, I have been for my pre op today (Having anterior & posterior repair and hysterectomy on 5th Feb)

i currently take cerazette (feanolle) which is a progesterone only pill.

obviously I won't need to take this after my op but just wondering if anyone knows if its OK to just stop taking it (wondered if had to slowly come off) or should I wait till after the op? I did ask the nurse who did my pre op assessment but she didn't know! 

Thanks xx

• Posted

The nurse didn't know? Good heavens I despair!!! It is ok to just stop taking it and you should stop taking it about 3 days before your operation anyway. Hope that helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.