Posterior Repair - 4 weeks on

Posted , 9 users are following.

It’s four weeks since my repair and I was wondering did anyone else feel like it had failed as the heavy feeling was back and they could see something at the entrance? If so was it just swelling or did your prolapse return? Staying off my feet now with ibuprofen but stressing this has all been for nothing.  How much walking did you do at this stage? Feeling very frustrated! Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I’m 5 weeks post posterior repair and perienum reconstruction. I’ve experienced the same as you. I was checked by my surgeon at 2 weeks post op who said it was swelling and the repair was successful. I felt like I had something inside of me all the time. She said it will subside once the swelling goes down. Could you see your doctor if you’re concerned? In the last week, I’ve started walking more. I’m slower than normal and I get terrible lower back ache if I am on my feet too long but it’s getting better every day.  I felt I turned a corner at the 4 week mark and things are definitely improving. Wishing you well in your  recovery. 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for replying Mandie sounds like what I am experiencing may be normal phew. I have too much time on my hands to worry. Good luck for the rest of your recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I'm 3 weeks anterior and posterior repair. I've walked twice now for an hour at a time and feel quite heavy afterwards which goes away with rest. My notes say by 2-4 weeks I should be walking for 30-60mins 4 x week. I haven't looked down there yet as I don't want 2 scare myself but it all feels quite bulgy and swollen. Don't worry 2 much I think we all heal at different times. Good luck and take care

• Posted

Thanks Kym. Sounds like we are the same then. Although the nurse I just spoke to said just walk to the letterbox and back 😳 I have been doing a lot more than that.  I wasn’t really told anything re amount of walking so it’s interesting  to hear what your pamphlet says. Thank you for replying to me and good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I was told no contact sports, running, jogging, horse riding ... like u would feel like riding a horse 🤪 but that walking was good exercise. I think a lot depends of your activity level pre-surgery. I am definitely walking slower than I would normally but will build it up over time. I think sometimes cos we can't see the surgery, the stitches etc we tend to minimise it and feel like we should be bouncing back quicker. But it was a massive trauma so I think we need to try and be patient and do things in our own time 😉

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Oh I am reliving my panic even as I read your words of panic!! I, too, felt and saw with a mirror (cringing as I am remembering) that full feeling in the vagina and that ridge looking thing I saw with my mirror! This forum so saved me from going nuts!! I think it was Welshgirl that said she had the same foreign thing looking back at her mirror, too! I know others had similar concerns. I might be mistaken but if  my memory serves me, Welshgirl was going to her doctor with the same concern. I was excited to read her report that the doctor said all that she saw was normal and would go away as swelling reduced. 

Talk about relieved!! I was so worried that the severe ‘bout of constipation and passing of hard bowel I experienced soon after I got home had ripped out my stitches and all was for nought. I had anterior and posterior repair, urethra lift and hernia repair so to think of going through all that again was overwhelming.  

Of course, see your own doctor if you are still concerned but I am pretty confident most of us on this forum have had something in “there” that petrified us!😄

Just a heads up, this may or may not happen to you, but even at 12 weeks post op, if I stand too long that full pressure like feeling returns. Hang in there and glad you found this forum to talk you down off the wall like it did for me😄Prayers for best recovery possible!

• Posted

Oh thank you Brenda you have made feel much better! Your description is  exactly what I saw and it freaked me out. thanks for talking me down 😊 Far too much time on my hands! Two more weeks until my checkup so I will try to contain my paranoia.

• Posted

My consultant told me the ridge area under urethra before vag was normal and fine.

I do have slight laxity on Back wall but it's normal for a women that's had 2 vaginal births. As long as I use my stool and watch diet so I have easy stools it will be fine. Also continue pelvic floor.. Its all so worrying I know ladies.x

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl,

I use the Squatty Potty and pretend to blow bubbles and both help keep me from straining. I eat Raisin Bran for breakfast and so far kept me from constipation. I am still taking stool softeners because I am still scared of another hard passing. Wondering if you take stool softeners or not?

So glad you are healing well! I know you will continue to take care of yourself! Prayers!

• Posted

I take movicol hun snd it keeps bowels soft and easy.

Im afraid to stop but i will one day lol.

I avoid laxatives as they purge and csuse cramps. This is all rather annoying but it all part of the journey ive been sent on.xx

• Posted

Yep I take movicol 2. Twice a day actually. I was chronically constipated before my repair and I'm hoping now that my bowel isn't prolapsing into my vagina anymore that this will rectify itself. I was also advised by the nurse in hospital to attend my local continence clinic to discuss options.

• Posted

Omg i can so relate. Ive been missing my notifications for some reason and have just now posted a similar question!! Im 10 weeks. I was same as you at 4 - between 4 and 8 weeks it all got so much better!!! So relax! I have just got the bulgey feeling back and hoping now that its normal to fluctuate and just means rest even more....
  • Posted

Reading all this makes me a bit less nervous to know I'm not the only one feeling funny down below although today has been a very tough day hopefully tomorrow will be better and love to all who need itcx

• Posted

So I thought I would update this discussion in case anyone else is googling like i was at for weeks 😊.

I had my six week check up today and everything looks great so it was just swelling a few weeks ago. I am feeling really good and I am glad I had this done. So hang in there it definitely improves.

Thanks everyone for replying to me when I had my freak out!! 

• Posted

Hi ladies

I am on Day 9 after Total hysterectomy and vaginal repair. I had a Grade 2 cystocele, Grade 1 rectocele and vaginal vault had descended to half way. I had to have my uterus and cervix removed to stop prolonged bleeding and the surgeon did the prolapse repair at the same time.

I feel really good, but I do feel a bit of pressure which I guess is to be expected as I still have stitches and I am probably still swollen. I also have a bit of an annoying itch at the entrance to my rectum and I am using wet wipes instead of dry toilet paper. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.