posterior repair 5 wks, bleeding & menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello to all,

I had a posterior repair 5wks ago today and up to now all has een fine with the repair. Saturday when I had a bowel motion it felt like the rectocele was back. The same  feeling of "needing to go," sitting on the loo, not being able to go, standing up feeling the urge again and so on (and on!). Finally went and experienced some bleeding. Experienced exactly the same again wirh more bright red bleeding. Should I be going to my G.P?

Also since the op - literally the day after I seem to have been plunged into a major menopause. prior to this I had regualr periods with no menoapusal signs - I'm nearly 53. Now I have dreadful hot flushes - the works - feel depressed etc - which is very unlike me. Saw the GP last week who said my overaies felt tender and inflamed - felt things might settle down.

Does anybody have any advice? My sick note ends next week after 6 weeks and I 'm due to go back to work. Should I?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Matron will help with these questions, if I can add one thing last year I had a hystorectomy and did not have overies removed on omg I was having al the menaporse symptoms now on HRT and had to push it with the doctor, I am 49 hope this helps 💓💓💓
  • Posted

Also I am 5 weeks today A&P and could not go back to work yet love x
  • Posted

I've not had a hysterectomy - that apparently was all fine and up where it should be! Just seems to be a bit much of a spooky life coincidence to enter menopause after the op so quickly though logically I know what's been done should physiologically have anything to do with one another.

I do have to be able to get up and down off the floor and be able to lift and carry -probably up to about 15lb weight to be able to work successsfully.

• Posted

Sorru also meant to say thank you for your reply!
    • Posted

You are welcome, I told you matron would respond, do as she said and get a sick note
  • Posted

Hello trizwizz. I'll answer your last question first because that's the easiest. No it's too early to go back to work so ask your GP for another sicknote. You don't say what your job is but either way emotionally you aren't ready. I would be extremely surprised if your surgery had failed. You are still healing so it's normal to get the symptoms you describe and the blood could be due to a stitch ready to drop out or sometimes you get a small blood clot left following the operation that doesn't disperse and it bleeds. As long as you don't bleed excessively, have pain with the bleeding or it doesn't smell offensive then you will be ok but if you are worried speak to your doctor so he can put your mind at rest. I don't know why following a rectocele (posterior) repair why you would get menopausal symptoms because your surgeon won't have been anywhere near your ovaries. Could it be a coincidence?  If your ovaries are tender is often a sign of ovulation. 
  • Posted

Thank you matron. No it's not excessive bleeding - more spotting but bright red. I've had no discharge really at all, no smells - all feels clean and I've no temperature. I just feel physically like I did before the repair - that bulgy, draggy feeling with additional difficulties going to the toilet. I've never been constipated then or now. I haven't felt like this up till the weekend. In fact I was congratulating myself on how well I felt I was progressing!

Yes I agree with you about the tender ovaries meaning ovulation; for years I've been able to tell when I'm mid-cycle because of this. But this tenderness has lasted 5 weeks now! I had my last period April 7th and operation on the 18th April.

For work I work as a home visitor promoting and developing pre-school children with disabilities to develop through structured play activities. (basically I sit on the floor and play all day!) So I carry large bags of toys around with me in the car. It's not a job where you can hide or take things easy - you're either fit or not. 

• Posted

I don't think you should return to work just yet. A posterior repair usually takes longer than an anterior repair to heal and I don't think you have properly healed yet from what you describe. Sitting can be as uncomfortable as standing as you will have found and it's much much too early to be carrying anything heavy. The other issue is driving. Can you safely do an emergency stop yet? The way to test if you can is to stamp your foot on a hard surface, if it's painful then you shouldn't be driving because we use our pelvic floor muscles using the pedals in the car.
  • Posted

I was told I could drive after four weeks and I have done so. Only local driving - just a couple of miles and it felt ok - yes I think I could do an emergency stop. Sitting has not been a problem - in fact I could get very used to being at home! Standing/walking has been harder - gravity does seem to have an effect after a while. I have been trying to do more (sensibly!) in order to build up a little more stamina. So yesterday for example I sat on a chair in the garden and filled some pots with my ever willing slave (husband) moving and lifting for me. Today I have hung out some washing - gently - not reaching too high.
    • Posted

Hello again. If you were told you can drive then no problem, I just get used to ladies not being given any information at all. I know what you mean about getting used to staying at home, I was the same and I was off 13 weeks but I had an anterior and posterior repair. It sounds as though you are recovering really well. 

The reason I said I would be surprised if your prolapse had failed is because it's very very rare for them to fail particularly so early if at all and the symptoms you describe I can identify with as will other ladies.

• Posted

May I ask why you would be surprised if the repair had failed? 
  • Posted

Maybe it's a coincidence that you started menopause at the same time as surgery.  You are the usual age for menopause.  Also I think stress can exacerbate menopausal symptoms and surgery is obviously stressful.  It sounds as if you are not ready to go back to work yet, after all 6 weeks is quite early.
  • Posted

Well I've been back to the Gp today - alas not the one I normally see but the duty doctor. He's signed me off for antoher two weeks - he was originally going to do one week more but as I nearly burst into tears - whilst having another hot flush - he amended to two weeks. I would rather have seen the gp I normally see but not possible. It seems all the gps were sick today and they were booking appts for 9th June when I was there so best get to know when you will be ill in advance!

I think they pulled out my ovaries when they removed the packing after the op (no I know that's not possible but that's what it feels like). Feeling highly emotional and can't see myself ever going back to work - have no inclination or desire to do anything let alone work.

I went into the garden on Wednesday and did some chopping with the secateurs - nothing overly strenuous - spent all day yesterday resting as the pain in lower abdomen is back. Still have pain from the ovaries - not gone. At least the gp recognised that I can't work on light duties - either have to be fit or not.

• Posted

Oh lv I hope you are ok, I know what the menaporse is like and it's not nice, mine is under control now with HRT, I still have my overies  but the symptoms were bad for me, my husband was nearly killed each time I got the symptoms for some reason it was all his falt lol.

each night my husband comes to the bedroom door and says here is my majic in a bottle for you and gives me the HRT tablet, without them I don't know what I would do x

• Posted

Thanks - I don't know if it is the menopause truly as it only came on literally when they took the packing out after the op! And has stayed ever since.

Part of me wishes I'd never had the thing done. Apart from my insides hanging out I felt ok - just tired all the time. This is something else. 

• Posted

Oh bless you love, I have not found the recovery easy, after the hystorectomy last year I was back to normal and doing things by week 5
    • Posted

Everyone feels like that trizwizz after this surgery, me included and I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for. Things will improve I promise but it takes time and the recovery really tries your patience but the important thing is to rest and remember we are all here for you.
    • Posted

Thank you. I did do research and thought I was ok. I had worked myself up into a state as on previous surgeries it was the anaesthetic that had made me violently sick. This time I talked through with the anaesthetist who was fantastic ( I have her name ingrained  in case I need further surgery!) and that part was wonderful.

I wouldn't say my patience is being tried so much as I can't be bothered to do anything - which is very unusual for me. My work involves people and when I've been off before I've been anxious to get back and see them. This time I simply don't care - which is strange as I think I do really. 

Just cried all the way through Britain's got talent - and that's not even good tv!!!

• Posted

I think your body is telling you to rest. It's not that you can't be bothered to do anything, it's Mother Nature making sure you don't do anything. I always say listen to your body so you should and not feel guilty because you have to rest, it's all part of the recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.