Posterior repair for a rectocele

Posted , 63 users are following.

I am going into hospital next week for a posterior repair to hopefully sort out the rectocele I have had for the last year.

I would be grateful for any information and comments from anyone who has undergone this procedure.

I am very nervous and embarrassed about the whole thing. I will definately leave comments on my experience once it is over.

12 likes, 223 replies

223 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a repair of a rectocele 11 days ago. I thought I was doing really well, but yesterday had a lot of pain,

even when relaxing. Then I had a brisk bright red bleed which lasted overnight. Bleeding now stopped but

pain continues. Having bowels open is excruciating even though I'm still taking laxatives! Anyone else had

this?

• Posted

Hi Terri, I had a posterior repair and tvt 14 days ago. At the end of the first week the discharge was so slight that I was using only panty liners, then the bright red bleeding stated. The GP gave me antibiotics for a bladder infection, and the bleeding has been spasmodic with abdominal discomfort and some clots. Tomorrow is the last day of the antibiotics, so planning to phone the GP for advice/reassurance. I don't think this bleeding is normal, but she did say it could be brought on by increased activity as the op pain eases. I haven't walked further than 20 metres and am so determined to make this work I haven't lifted anything heavier than a cup of tea.

Just wish for a bit more information and what to expect.

• Posted

Hi Moira, please can you tell me how you are now after your op? I am due to decide whether to have a colosuspension or TVT op when I return to the Consultant. I also have a prolapse rectum which she said 'they would sort out at the same time'! I am so confused about how they do the procedures. I was hoping not to have the bikini-line cut in my abdomen which seems to be the only option in the colposuspension leaflet. Other ladies on here seem to have had their repairs done via the vagina. I am also worried about our sex life and if it will be affected long term. Kind regards Jen.
    • Posted

Hi Jen

The tvt has been a complete success so far. i don't leak, ever. I had a nasty chest infection and coughed constantly for 10 days, and still no leaking. The op does alter the flow, which is slower, but it's ok. I can go out now and not worry where the nearest toilet is, and don't even wear panty liners. It was done at the same time as the posterior repair, and no external scarring, save 2 miniscule bumps and 1cm scars where the tvt was inserted. It's hidden by pubic hair, so no problem. Don't worry about your sex life. The posterior repair tightens the vagina, so things are more snug, and the constipation problem goes away. You can actually see both ops on YouTube, and I found that reassuring as you can see how straightforward it all is, but it's not for the squeamish. I am so glad I've had all this sorted. You just get used to things, and it's only after you think, 'why did I put up with this for so long?'

Good luck and keep us posted. Moira

• Posted

Hi Moira

Thank you so much for your reply, it has answered all my worries! Just one more question for now. Do you work & if so how long did you have off after the op? I will definitely let you know how I get on. : ) Jen

• Posted

I retired just before the operation. Had put it back as I didn't want to take so much time off. I probably would have managed after 12 weeks, but not my usual 50-60 hours. I'm 64 now, so maybe I did take a while to recover. I still get tired, and have occasional uncomfortable twinges which send me into a panic, but I am pretty much back to normal in terms of going out and about.
  • Posted

Hi Moira. Thanks your your reply. I think that information is the real issue. If what I'm feeling is normal and expected, I could deal with it! Also, I'm never too sure who to contact for advice. The hospital are not going to give me any follow up and I'm not too sure that the GP knows enough about the specific procedure and what is normal and what's not!

GP has now prescribed some antibiotics and I'm just going to keep up with the painkillers for the time being.Let me know how things go for you?

Take care

Terri

• Posted

Hi Terri, here's my update. No bleeding overnight then quite heavy yesterday afternoon, with a big clot. Phoned the GP and told to visit surgery this morning, or A+E if more clots. Saw GP this morning, and sent to hospital. Have been there all day. Have a haematoma, and infection around the TVT. Given more antibiotics, and to go back on Mon to see how it's all progressing. The posterior repair and txt are fine, which is the main thing. Complete rest until Mon. I feel relieved that generally ok, and have been thoroughly checked. 3 doctors + consultant. They all said I was right not to ignore fresh red blood, and period type pain. Let me know how you're getting on. I'm completely wiped out now and going to bed!
  • Posted

Hi Moira,

I can't believe it! I have the same thing and been in hospital all day. Just got home myself. I had major bleed late last night with clots. Went to A&E as it was so heavy. Was booked for theatre but then then passed the hugest clot ever and the bleeding stopped. Had an ultrasound and a small haematoma remains. They wanted me to stay overnight but really wanted to get home. Have to go straight back if anymore bleeding and then will have to go surgery.

I don't remember them warning me about a haematoma when I had the op done!

Keep in touch Moira and let me know how you get on.

Take good care

Terri

• Posted

Hi Terri

I phoned my GP after a heavy bleed and clot yesterday afternoon. Ended up spending most of today in hospital. Have a haematoma and infection around the tvt site. Given more antibiotics and to go back on Mon. Complete rest as movement increases the flow. Left to itself the blood should reabsorb but they want to see me again to make sure. All agreed that bright red blood needs attention, and I feel better now that I've been thoroughly checked. Will keep you posted. Take care.

• Posted

Wish I knew how to delete posts! Didn't think they'd uploaded so have repeated myself. Apologies to anyone reading all this.

Terri, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but feel better having someone share the experience! Hopefully your haematoma will now resolve fully without surgery. Apparently they're caused by a blood vessel being nicked during the operation. A pool of blood forms, clots over, but then starts to leak out.

I took the chance to ask about walking. Wasn't sure how much is recommended. None at the moment until this is all resolved, then 'listen to your body, but shouldn't affect the repair'.

• Posted

I also had a capillary that was nicked during posterior repair surgery. Instead of developing a hematoma, I hemorrhaged badly at home and ended up blacking out and going through the bathroom wall. That head injury resulted in a Class 2 concussion that turned into post concussive syndrome for months. The fall also left me with a broken tailbone.

Still, I'm very glad I had the repair done. The benefits have far outweighed the complications. My repair was done the end of November last year.

The early days are rough, ladies, but have faith..... it gets better!

• Posted

Good grief! You poor thing! It's good though that your repair wasn't affected, and thank you for your encouraging words.
  • Posted

Went back for follow up visit to ward today (see above). Have had a lot of bleeding the last few days and some shooting pains in my lower abdomen. Very, very tired and headachy.

Apparently haematoma almost cleared. Dr did a swab and blood test, but they think the infection is cleared up too. I was worried that the shooting pains meant some infection/problem with the tvt, but dr thinks pressure from remaining internal bruising. I have to go back if bleeding starts again, and they are making a clinic appointment for me to see the consultant who did the operation. Hopefully by the time that comes through I'll be well on the mend, and if not I'll have a chance to ask more questions.

All the best to everyone undergoing these surgeries. I'm sure the vast majority sail through without problems, but it's good to have this forum if there are issues.

• Posted

Hi Moira,

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling well. It seems to be dragging on a long time. For me, things seem to have settled, but I now have a dragging feeling on the right hand side and I can feel some sutures. Not sure if that's normal??

Whereabouts did you have your surgery?

Terri

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.