Posterior repair with perineorrhaphy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else undergone this? Looking for information on recovery - I am 6 days post op. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovely, I’m 30 and just had a posterior repair and a total perenium reconstruction. Surgeon told me yesterday that the minimum depth of my stitches are 3cm and most are a lot deeper so maybe we have had something similar? I’m on day 18.... 

Hope you are coping ok! The first week is tough I found. Any questions happy to answer x 

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for your reply. It’s reassuring to hear from others who are experiencing it. The last 6 days have been very tough - I still cannot get comfortable in any position. My stitches are so sore and I’m still feeling pressure in my bottom. I am spending most of my day laid in bed switching from side to side. The stitches look terrible and I’m worried it’ll look worse than it did before! 

Have your external stitches dissolved yet? Any tips for coping / managing? How long have you been told to take off work? Thanks x 

• Posted

Such early days! I was so emotional he first few days and kept crying!! 😂😫 What painkillers do you have? My doctor gave me codeine, laxatives and diclafenic suppositories ie up the bottom!! I took these religiously all day every day for the first two weeks and now on my third week I’m still taking solpadeine max every 4 hours! So make sure you have the right painkillers? I find lying propped up with pillows behind me and then a big pillow under my knees helped take the pressure off..... I felt like I was going to give birth out my bum!!!! So I’m 2.5 weeks on and the pressure is much less now . However if I’m on my feet more than 30 mins I get a lot of aching and pain and to be honest am still spending a lot of time laid on my bed or the sofa! I have put a question on here today regarding work as I’m not sure so maybe follow that thread? Hopefully lots will reply. And my stitches are going to be about 12 weeks I think..... I looked the other day and I was like swollen closed so my surgeon told me to hide the mirror and that I’m totally normal apparently so I guess we shouldn’t be looking yet!! Lots of love to you it’s really rough but we will get there x 

• Posted

I’m so glad you told me that - I’ve been crying every day too sad the hospital gave me nurofen, paracetamol and morphine plus the laxative. The morphine makes me feel so dizzy and sick so I’m trying to stop that. My bowel just isn’t working full stop. The stitches are so close and so everything is swollen so I’m not surprised. 

I described the pain alike to a baby head being there! If I am on my feet For more than a few minutes, that’s the pain I get. I’m laid on pillows, and have tried a hot water bottle placed under me which does help a little. 

I’m seeing my doctor for a check up at the end of the week so will ask about work then. Im only currently signed off for 2 weeks! That’s the max the hospital could do apparently. Im a teacher and work full time so I need to be able to be on my feet all day. 

It’s so reassuring to hear that I am not alone in how bad I feel. I am hopeful I will turn a corner after the one week mark. 

• Posted

Maybe up the laxatives? Or try natural ones? I have been drinking prune juice (rank!!!) but I think it helps a bit. Or ask doctor for movicol? That’s the laxative I have and I do find it helps although it gives me gripes!! I also feel like lying on my side with a pillow between my legs helped a bit?? 

So I am 2 weeks 4 days on and I just spent 1.5 hours in the garden with my kids directing my mum in how to build a play House and now I’m in agony and will probably be in bed all day!! It’s such a slow recovery..... I imagine you will be off 6 weeks minimum!? I feel like the average seems to be 8-10 weeks ..... any questions just let us know. I find this forum really helpful as I don’t know anyone that’s had this done 😫 xx

• Posted

Hi, I hope you managed to rest yesterday and are feeling better. I’m much the same. Been awake half the night - just couldn’t get comfortable in any position. Movicol worked a treat. Is it normal for the stitches to be sorer as the days go on? I really thought after a week I would been feeling a little better but instead I continue to feel just awful. 
    • Posted

I rested most the day yesterday!! I had a bit of a cry yesterday because it does get me down that I don’t see any drastic improvement. I’m 3 weeks on today and still if I stand for longer than 30 minutes/ 1 hour I lay down for the rest of the day! I can’t eveb imagine ever going to the job or running round with my kids and it’s hard but I suppose we just have to be so patient? 

There is a risk of infection if things are getting much worse? It might be an idea to get checked. I went back after a week as I kept nearly fainted and the bleeding was getting heavier along with an orange liquid (that’s right ORANGE 😂wink and would you know, he gave me antibiotics just in case but it turned out to be totally normal! In fact thinking back to that time it does show I have improved a lot, it’s just slow.

I have been searching online for a holiday for July as something to look forward to? It’s giving me a focus! Hope you are ok xx

• Posted

Hi. A holiday sounds like a great idea! I’ve been reading up on this and most women seem to say they still have to rest at 8-10 weeks. I’ve seen my doctor this morn for a check. I have a gap in my stitches so part of the perienum repair is open. She thinks this is why it is so sore. She believes it will heal on its own but if it doesn’t, it will mean being cut and stitched again (the thought of this terrifies me!) she has given me stronger painkillers and told me to rest on the bed as much as I can. She’s signed me off for another 4.5 weeks. 

I hope you’re feeling a little better today. My doc said the recovery is slow but will be worth it long term. 

• Posted

I’ve had this along with SSF & previously an anterior repair & hysterectomy!

Day 6 is early days. I was lucky and had very little pain, the SSF was the most uncomfortable thing but that didn’t last too long. Make sure you go to your post op check up to ensure everything is healing well. I took 9 weeks off work but would have needed longer if I had a full-time more physical job. As I obviously have a weak pelvic floor I’ve been told no heavy lifting, ever.  I found driving no problem after 6 weeks but wouldn’t have been able to do a long journey for more like 12 weeks. Take it easy & accept all offers of help. X 

• Posted

Thank you Imnotadoctor. I’m seeing my GP tomorrow for a check up and my surgeon after 6 weeks. You had the works then?! This is bad enough so I admire that you coped through all that. I never imagined it would make me this immobile or that I would experience this much discomfort. 
  • Posted

Hi Mandie,

I'm almost 4 weeks out from this. It's a bear. I needed narcotics for two weeks. Still having issues with aching pain and pulling sensation if I sit/stand for long and shooting needle-pricks in my whole undercarriage area. At  the one week stage, I was using ice packs every 2 hours or so and spraying hot water on myself during and after urination to relieve burning from the urine. My doc also had me lie with my hips/pelvis up on pillows so that it was above my head and heart for 15-20 minutes every 2-3 hours to relieve pressure and swelling. That's weird and uncomfortable, but the effects last a surprisingly long time.  Once my stitches started dissoving and showing up in my undies, I started using a spray called "New Mama Bottom Spray" that's just diluted witch hazel, peppermint oil, lavender oil, and cucumber after toileting. It's incredibly soothing. I still have a stack of pillows on my dining chair so I can eat with the fam, and it was 3 weeks before I could do that. I hope that helps some!

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for the tip - I will definitely get some of the spray. I’ve never heard of it despite having 4 children! I’m also raising myself with pillows in bed and using heat (as opposed to cold) to help the pressure feeling. It’s reassuring to hear of others who are now more mobile. I’m feeling very low as each day I don’t seem to be making any progress. 

I took a bath today (not even sure if I’m supposed to with all the stitches) and that completely whacked me out sad 

• Posted

I don't think you're supposed to take baths, maybe call your doctor's office to check? The water can weaken the dissolvable stitches too early and increase the risk of infection. I'm still wiped out most of the time, tbh. I guess all this healing takes more out of us than regular life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.