Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD): How long to resolve?

Posted , 15 users are following.

PVD is supposedly very common in those over age 65. (I'm 73.) I experienced a significant PVD event in my right eye 3 weeks ago. My vision was very blurred in that eye and I had a lot of eye strain. However, I wasn't yet familiar with "PVD" so I immediately went to my eye doctor. He thoroughly examined and tested my eyes and made the diagnosis. He said there was nothing I could have done to prevent it and there is no way to treat it......except through time and nature taking its course. He said the vitreous material will dissipate into smaller pieces as time goes by (2 to 6 months) and my brain will compensate for some of the focus problem. The doctor said to alleviate the eye strain issue, I should shut my eyes for 10 minutes or so until the pain subsides.

It's now been 3 weeks for me and I do sense some decrease in my focusing problem (especially reading/computer use) and eye strain, but the problem is still there. Has anyone been through a significant PVD experience? After the 2 to 6 months, did you find that the problem was essentially all gone and your focus was back to what it was pre-PVD?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My best friend had something very similar happen. Hers was quite severe but the doctors were correct and the double vision and blurring she experienced did adjust itself in time. Her focus returned but she was also prescribed new glasses with a prism in the lens to assist - perhaps speak to a good optician to see if there are glasses that could be prescribed to help. Because her problem was quite serious her vision was not as good as before it happened but I do know that her focus returned and the double vision completely adjusted itself. The brain is a wonderful thing eh.

• Edited

Did the detachment complete.?Its been about 3 yrs for me and mine still aren't fully detached. Ive had pvd both eyes. I still have visual symptoms such as days that are blurrier then others,more floaters then I used to,different types of floaters,smudges,cloudy vision etc. I can however do quite well on reading etc with my glasses.

• Posted

Hi Lee

How are your eyes now?

I think I spoke to you in January last year.

My flashes mostly settled in my right eye but I still see it a tiny bit when in a darkened room.

I also get some achiness in my eye occasionally.

I spoke to the eye hospital this morning and they don't seem concerned.

• Posted

Hi Rhonda

I'm going through a PVD in right eye and it has been quite significant. Floaters across my line of vision plus a few that cause fleeting blurriness. This has caused a lot of distress. My eye has been aching and I think I have developed eye strain. My GP thinks it is migrane coming from anxiety. It feels more like eye strain with. I definately see a very slight difference in my vision although I can see using glasses. Has your pvd completed and Symptons subsided?

• Edited

i have had ongoing pvd in both eyes , 14 months later and still a nightmare, soooo many floaters, dont think my vision will ever get back to normal  find reading and computer work so hard now

• Edited

the main debris never went away for me even after 10 years. I had a limited vitrectomy to remove it (both eyes) and am very happy with the results

• Posted

Ive heard its a risky operation, with many side effects. How did you find it? Dont they only perform this operation as a last resort?

• Posted

Thanks to all for your replies.

@john60354:

Like Diane, I too have heard that a vitrectomy is a very risky procedure. The laser beam used to "zap" the vitreous matter can accidentally burn your retina. I am going to just wait this out and live with whatever I encounter after the 6 months is up. Glad to hear you got relief.

• Posted

my optometrist wont even consider it unless it is extremely bad

• Posted

most ophthalmologists don't consider floaters an issue worth dealing with. a few leaders now are changing the thinking on this front. the use of lasers to disintegrate floaters is not the same as a limited vitrectomy. the laser approach for floaters doesn't have the same clinical substantiation as the vitrectomy.vitrectomy works best for people that have already had cataracts and vitreous detachment since those are potential risks of the procedure. see the research papers of dr j. sebag for the latest research.

• Posted

I'm in the states I've never heard of the limited version and our hospital is a branch of one of the largest hospitals in the U.S. Got me.

• Posted

i believe the limited modifier just means they try to only remove the part of the vitreous that has the floaters.

• Posted

all I know is my eyes aren't good and unless my reading ability became very bad,they don't want to touch your eyes because of risks,as far as removing the vitreous fluid.

• Posted

dr jerry sebag does a podcast on the subject at the link shown above. i read several of the peer reviewed research papers before i decided to have it done. my only regret is not having done it sooner.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

How was the recovery? Do you have to be face-down for a period of time and, if so, for how long? Also did you have both eyes done at the same time?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.