Postherpetic neuralgia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have had this for 1 1/2 years post the shingles .... itches and so tender to touch 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I sure can relate Mary, I’ve had it now going on 3 years.  I still have hope it will be better but hasn’t happened yet!
  • Posted

So Sorry Mary , I know what a nightmare this disease is as I have been dealing with it for 7 years, Take care!
  • Posted

Hi Mary

There are many threads on this site. One that offers some positive reports and information that’s useful is titled “PHN gone 100% for months...can the pain come back?”  

So it’s important to know that PHN pain can and does decrease over the years. Mine has gone from really severe to just an annoyance over the 28 years I’ve had it. More important, it really is possible to learn to enjoy life again, and even be happy, even while we still have the pain. 

There is a name for this process, and it has a strong scientific track record:  Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). Many books are available on it, and many therapists offer it. 

Check out out the other threads about PHN on this site. Lots of people have offered what works for them to minimize the pain. For me, two creams help. Aspercreme and triamcinolone acetonide (a prescription cream used for eczema). For itching, drinking water really makes a huge difference, hard to believe but true. 

Hope you discover helpful things things that work for you here, Mary!

• Posted

is postherpetic neralgia caused from hsv-1 or hsv-2 herpes virus (as in the std one)? or is from the chickenpox virus that we all have?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.