Postheurpatic neuralgia or new bout of shingles?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! First full blown shingles outbreak end of May. Reoccurrence of rash mid June. All clear and symptom free for over two weeks and yesterday I had itching in area where rash was but no rash now. Tonight I'm having there burning painful skin same dermamode as before but no rash. Would this be postheurpatic neuralgia after having a symptom free period or a new occurrence?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can't answer this but I do know that if you begin meds within 72 hours that if it is shingles, it should help tremendously.  I would go to the doctor first thing tomorrow morning to be on the safe side.

• Posted

Hi Betty..yes..i ran to dr both times the rash to get antivirals. Not going to run for this as I'm thinking its not but yes the second I see a rash pop up..I would go.

• Posted

H Karen,

It seems like what you're describing is PHN pain. Burning, itching pain weeks after shingles are classic PHN signs. I had shingles Nov 2016 and weeks later developed burning, itching skin pain in the area where the rash had been originally. You may have this pain on and off forever or it may lesson as time goes by. 

There are a lot of alternative ways you can deal with the pain other than taking strong presciption drugs. Try making some lifestyle changes first including eating more healthy foods, avoiding stress, getting a lot of sleep and dealing with psychological depression and anxiety. Good luck! 

• Posted

Thanks! I am pretty sure that's what ot is too now. Did some more resesrch. I just wasnt sure if it could come or go. And yes I avoid all the pain meds stuff. I have been doing lots of supplements . Lions Mane seemed to really help me and I ran out. Will have to go get more!

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I am sorry you have to keep dealing with this. As you had no symptoms, then have itching and burning in the same dermatome, it is considered a recurrent episode of Herpes Zoster Shingles. If you have no rash, it is called "Zoster Sine Herpete."

Please Google Herpes and follow high Lysine low Arginine diet. The amino acid Arginine triggers the varicella Herpes virus and Lysine soothes it. I have found by simply following this diet, my episodes are far less frequent and less painful.

Please get on an antiviral today. Valcyclovir and Famciclovir are more effective than Acyclovir. Acyclovir is the oldest drug with five times daily dosing.

I hope this helps you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.