Postmenopausal Bleeding

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's been 12 years since I have had a period, so I am definitely postmenopausal. For the last few days I have had some needing. It isn't very heavy but definitely red, also have some low abdo discomfort, very much like a period and I know it sounds crazy but it smells like a period. I have a telephone appointment with my GP on Monday (in 4 days) but I am little worried. I am 63.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Sue,

Sorry you're going through this.  I suggest that you go to see an ob/gyn as soon as you can, so that you can get proper testing.  Don't let your gp tell you this is probably normal or fob you off.  In my opinion a gp can't properly test or diagnose this. Sometimes women take symptoms such as yours to their go's only to have a long delay before they can be referred to a gyn. Gp's often try this test, for which there is a wait, and then that test, involving another wait, without any sense of direction or effort to be timely.

The idea is not to waste any time, but to go right to an expert.  Most anything can be sorted if caught soon enough.

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi Sue 

Agree 100% to what Lynda is saying. I too had a bleeding / period after a year just month, and of course I freaked out. I did go see a doc, and she did ultrasound and saw that my uterus lining was a little thicker and found cysts on ovaries. Am waiting for biopsy results to rule out any cancer

so please insist on a test and ultrasound, especially because u have been menopausal for such a long time.

Do write how it goes and what the doc says.

All the best!

• Posted

By the way, I am 50 and have been menopausal for a year, thereabouts...
  • Posted

Sue i two had bleeding after 4yrs of no bleeding i went straight to the doctors and had a vaginal scan and nothing was found all normal they saw some discharge and took a swab forgot to say i had like period back ache

They have booked me an appointment for june go go back and see them

I no its scary i was the same

It will all be ok xx

• Posted

I just noticed I should of put bleeding (stupid predictive text). It's also a worry because my Mum passed away at 68, she was in hospital having tests done on gross ascites (she hid it well). She passed away while she was in there, the only tests they managed to do was a CTscan which showed a mass but they couldn't see where it originated from and a guided needle biopsy for the fluid. The consultant said the abdo swelling was more mass than fluid. The fluid was sent off for analysis but the result wasn't back until she passed away. No post mortem was done. On the death certificate stated adenocarcinoma as secondary, the primary unknown. The consultant told me afterwards that he believed that the primary was probably ovarian/uterine. So you can see why I'm concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.