Postoperative recovery concerns

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone

I had Hallux Valgus surgery on 10 July but still have no movement and almost no feeling in the big toe. Moreover, the toe appears to be misaligned with the other toes on the vertical axis. The physiotherapist said I should be able to walk without crutches by this stage. But I can barely manage a few feet without them.

I've been trying to contact my GP and consultant about this, but without sucess.

Does anyone know if this alignment of the toe is normal three weeks after surgery?

Thank you. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Anner33, 

What you are experiencing is normal. Your big toe will be numb for a bit. I was told to touch the touch and rub the incision to help with feeling and scar tissue. I am 10 weeks post op and cannot bend the toe down but I can bend it up. Still working on bending it down.  The gap btwn your toes will settle. Remember, it took years for your toe to bend 'wrongly' so be patient with it. I agree that you should be walking without crutches. I only used crutches for first 3 days and walked with surgical shoe. Go see your surgeon. 

• Posted

Hi i think you should ask the Podiatrist or surgeon who did it, with the picture you sent, it might be probably because on how they put the bandage from

the big toe so it won't stick to the other toe. But for your peace of mind ask them to take an xray of your foot.

• Posted

Thank you both for your help. I spoke to my surgeon today. The misalignment can be corrected with foot/toe exercises and tighter bandaging that forces the big toe back into alignment with the smaller toes.
  • Posted

A quick update on my recovery. After another x-ray and post-operative checkup, the surgeon has discovered that my metatarsal has fractured where the pins were inserted—hence my toe misalignment. Unfortunately, it will mean corrective surgery.
    • Posted

When you originally had the surgery done did they place a pin through your big toe to hold it all in place?  Like I have a pin sticking through my big toe going about 4 inches into my foot where the cut the hold my big straight while it heel. I just had surgery 2 weeks ago and had questions about the removal process if they did that in your surgery. I know every bunion surgery can differ a little. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.