Postpartum prolapse.

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd around 20 weeks I noticed a bulge when I went the toilet I then had the feeling of tampon stuck there. at 30 weeks the symptoms all went. I'm now 6 weeks postpartum and have presure, the awful tampon hanging out feeling and a small bulge at the front. I went the doctors and she said i have mild vaginal wall prolapse mainly at the front. she said k3gels would get rid of it my question is how likely is it to go? And will I ever get rid of the tampon feeling front doing kegels? and can kegels really but then the walls and get rid of the bulge. I just want to feel normal I've been sat on the sofa for 3 weeks and not left the house and haven't eaten properly since

. the thought of never being normal and feeling lile this for much longer makes me wish I didn't wake up.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had that tampon feeling after giving birth. I had two pelvic floor repairs last year - 1 posterior and 1 uterus repair. You cannot fix a prolapse with exercise. Kegals will improve your symptoms but not the physical element of the prolapse. If yours is mild, you should feel improvement with the kegals. I recommend doing them three times a day. Hope this helps.

• Edited

Hi Samantha - I just wanted to reach out and say that you are not alone and there is so much hope for improvement.

Research suggests that 50% of women who have given birth will experience a prolapse at some stage in their life - and many of us directly after childbirth. There is even research to suggest that mild prolapse is within the normal range - particularly for women who have given birth vaginally (it may be that many women may not experience symptoms / realise they have one).

With regard to your symptoms, the best advice I can give is to see a qualified women's health physio who will be best placed to assess your pelvic floor / prolapse and start your rehab (yes, kegels - but it doesn't just have to be squeezes - you can incorporate pilates-style movements with your kegels to make them more interesting)!

Under the guidance of your physio, you may notice an improvement of your symptoms in weeks - months (building pelvic floor strength is just like building any other muscle - it takes time and a progressive overload to get the most out of the muscle).

And yes, there is even research to suggest that pelvic floor muscle training (kegels) can reduce the grade of the prolapse in its milder stages. Not to mention you are still very early post-partum and your body will still be healing / dealing with different hormone levels for many more months yet (and this makes a difference to tissues).

I never usually post on boards but, having spent many hours of the night trawling through message boards about my own experience, I just wanted to reach out. I've found that it is as much a mental health issue as it is a physical one and it's very important to reach out for help for both - particularly if it's impacting you emotionally (happy mum is just as important as happy kids).

Best of luck with your journey.

X

• Edited

Also meant to add some great pelvic health resources if you're on instagram (or just google):

Pop Uplift (Haley Shevner)

Umi Health (UK based pelvic floor physio /

fitness)

ClaireBournePhysio

Physio Detective (depends how much you like sport science)

Empowered Motherhood Program (Australia based pelvic floor physio / fitness)

These are just a few (and are

all on instagram, too) but hopefully they help kick-start your re-hab!

• Posted

i am in the same boat. had a baby last month, and have a rectocele. i have to push w my fingers, a bulge in to go #2. i am devestated and concerned about being intimate w my husband in the future. i wish this never happened.

• Posted

it's very very common hun. my back wall is weak also and will need repair some day.

the only way to get rid of a rectocele is to have it repaired once you have done having a family. dont worry hun it's all okay and easily fixed if thats what yiu want.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.