Potassium and magnesium for lowering blood pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just found out by researching something else that low magnesium and low potassium levels will really raise your blood pressure Maybe people can look it up and get your bloodwork done or just take some supplements and see what happens to your blood pressure if it helps but better to get tested especially if you are on medication that zaps your magnesium just like antibiotics and some blood pressure meds

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the info, I will ask my doctor about it.
  • Posted

diana88467...Yes, some bp meds can help deplete the potassium levels, especially ACE's., but diuretics can do it as well which is why some people (myself included) take a potassium supplement. Potassium levels are very important. Too high can cause all sorts of symptoms, one being heart palpitations. Too low..the same thing.

ARB's CAN reduce magnesium levels. It makes me wonder at times which bp medications don't deplete vitamin levels. 

• Posted

Hi Diana,

I first heard about that 25 years ago, when my BP had crept up to an average 150/90 after the menopause. My GP was making medication noises but I decided to try Mg, as well as losing about 7lb in weight. After 6 months, my BP was down to 120/80 and stayed there till quite recently. (It's been creeping up again since I turned 70.)

I don't think it works for everyone, and it doesn't produce drastic results, but it can help you avoid upping your dose if you're already on meds and your BP is still rising a bit, or even avoid starting meds altogether if your BP is only borderline high.

Provided you stick to the recommended dose there are no side-effects except for mild diarrhoea in some people. However, since I usually tend in the opposite direction it evened things out nicely for me!

I've never taken potassium supplements but eat plenty of potassium-rich foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.