Potatoes causing bloating and stomach agony

Posted , 6 users are following.

for some years I realised that eating any form of potato caused me to get severe stomach pain and cramp. I now find other foods are doing this. When I examine the ingredient lists for foods I find potato starch is becoming popular. Many soups, lots of ready meals e.g. m&S mushroom risotto and now gravy granules. 

Anyone else have this problem

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mine nightmare is wheat, but I do feel better if I avoid potato's, also tomato, they are closely related cousins to each other.

I have found that I have to prepare everything from scratch, in other words nothing from a packet.

When I go shopping, fruit and veges, cornflour, milk, cheese, some frozen veges, avoid the tinned and packet items completly, as husband also has major heart problem and salt is a complete NO NO for him, and if you look at anything tinned, sodium, which is salt, I put it back on the shelf.

I remember one day thinking I am eating like my grandparents and great grandparents did, nothing tinned or pre-prepared, not much wrong with that as most of my grandparents lived into their 90's.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply Lynn. I had not considered tomato as a potential problem. I have salad when all around me are eating chips or jacket potato so I will try having green salad and miss out the tomato. I did try avoiding wheat but it seemed to make little difference to my digestion. My daughter however is a fan of gluten free.

yes we are back to preparation from scratch. Eating out is a bit of a nightmare. Also being a fan of soup for lunch I am preparing my own to avoid potato starch thickener and keep the salt low since I have a cardiac problem.

i really open d the discussion thread to highlight the increasing use of potato starch when formerly cornflour was used.

bst wishes to your husband with his cardiac problem

• Posted

Look up deadly nightshade sensitive, there are a number of websites talking about people who are sensitive, the list is longer than even I expected.

I agree with eating out, I enjoy a mushroom pasta, but two items the pasta, and the garlic they load it with, my stomach does not like garlic at all, burning pain for about two weeks, its not worth the nice feed, now do my own mushrooms and enjoy them that way.

Husband has global dialated cardiomyopathy, he really does very well considering he is so sick. Also has a three lead pacemaker and defibrillator, as his natural electrical system in his heart is 100% blocked.

That came as a shock to the Dr's, but he is in the care of a top cardiologist, and when we can get past his junior staff, that I seem to have issues with every so often, I can get very angry with their lack of knowledge, and have a couple of times.

I have educated myself about his heart condition, and now recognize when he is in trouble, and jump on it pretty quickly, have even been congratulated by the senior cardiologist on my knowledge, and knowing when he is having problems even when the nurses are saying he is OK, but I have been married 45 years and know my husband and what is normal.

• Posted

My brother had trouble with potato with IBS.  Boiled potatoes and potato salad were the worst for him.  Mashed potato was much better.  He has not had a flare up for years so long as he is careful with potato.
    • Posted

hi Pippa good of you to reply. Whilst it's good to know I'm not alone my sympathies to your brother. Tell him to look out for potato starch appearing in lots of ready prepared foods such as soups and pasta dishes. Wow I'd love a plate of mash but I know what it would do to me.

thanks again

• Posted

I think processed foods are the trouble these days.  Cooking from scratch seems to help with IBS food intolerances.  I have problems with some fatty, rich or spicy foods which is more related to my upper digestive tract problem which causes reflux or sometimes nausea or vomiting if my stomach gets exceptionally irritated.  My IBS only causes me pain, occasional nausea and bowel habit changes. Food doesn't affect it.

Just as well my brother has no IBS flare ups now because he is a plastic surgeon and has to do a lot of operations.

• Posted

In case someone is suffering with the same and looking for something else to try: Potatoes that have been cooked and then allowed to cool, such as in potato salad, are high in resistant starch. I'm wondering if you are having too much of it. It is the same with rice that has been cooked and reheated. Hopefully you'll have found your answer by now though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.