Potential Biliary Colic Problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering with pain in my upper right hand side for over a week now (across my breastbone and in my right shoulder blade) - I believe it is down to my gallbladder but awaiting a full diagnosis from the doctor. I am really worried having read a number of different sites that the pain will just get far worse that will be unbearable and it seems other than completely restricting my diet to no fatty foods whatsoever etc... there is nothing that really advises what you can do in the meantime to try and prevent an attack from happening or what types of painkillers might at least deaden the pain. I am hoping that I am worrying for no reason, but as I have just come off of a birth control pill (which I believe has exacerbated the symptoms) and am in remission for Graves Disease, this has caused my gallbladder to go into a meltdown. 

I am looking for any advice on how I can cope with this long term. I am no good with pain and I am hoping that it won't get to that point, so if there is anything that has been tried and tested as working, I am all ears. Thank you.

If it helps, I am female, 38 years old and yes, I am overweight. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think it depends on what exactly is going on with the gallbladder.  Stones, inflammation, sludge, disease etc.  I have been having pain off and on for over a year.  And mine never gets excruciating.  It's just annoying.  I will probably have to get it out at some point

• Posted

Thanks for your response.. it’s in some ways good to know as I’m paranoid listening to people who have had really bad attacks - have had my blood tests back and they’ve advised my cholesterol levels are slightly high sad 
    • Posted

I just got my labs back too!!  High cholesterol, triglycerides, and ldl.  Ugh.  Never happened to me before.  So I have to clean my diet up for sure.  Maybe then the pain will go away
    • Posted

I hope so.. if you go to gallbladder attack.com there seems to be a list of foods that can help and ones to avoid.. Good luck! 

• Posted

hida and ultra sound will give clear directions for your issues. Limiting fatty/protein food can give some relief with the bloating pain. Also fennel or cummin seed juice can give some relief. 
    • Posted

Yes limiting  fatty/protein food  and fennel and cummin seed warm juice (put few cummin seeds in and heat in microoven for a minute and drink once it is warm) can help remove the bloating  pain.
  • Posted

I started off with a really bad attack which lasted a good 9 hours pretty much solid. Couldn’t lie down, sit up, sleep and no painkillers helped either. The pain lingered on for 2 weeks. 6 months later and the pain was almost constant and also had constant nausea. By this point I was eating very low fat but still getting frequent attacks. 

I’m not the usual candidate for having gallbladder issues though. 30 years old and very slim too. The only thing is the fair hair and the fact I’ve been on the pill for a good few years. 

Have you had ultrasound done yet? What did it show? xx

• Posted

I haven’t had the appointment come through yet from the doctor. For a solid week, I have had pain for in and around the gallbladder area, moving to the right shoulder blade  and even in my breasts like a dull throbbing. There have been moments of nausea, but I haven’t been sick, and my cholesterol levels are only slightly high. I took the pill for a month, and I genuinely believe that it exacerbated all the pain and issues with the gallbladder (although dr told me that was not possible, I can’t help thinking that it wasn’t that bad before i started taking it) 

What’s your situation now? Are you going to have it out? Has the Dr given you anything for the pain or nausea? I’m sticking to the low fat diet only because I’m terrified of a full blown painful attack that my friends have all described to me. 

• Posted

Got it out about 11 weeks ago now after ending up in hospital for a week (for the second time in 7 weeks) with cholecystitis. Tried so many different anti sickness/nausea tablets but none of them were working. The sick feeling has gone when I woke up from surgery. Hope you get your appt through soon! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.