Potential HIV exposure

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I took my father to the lab to have some blood tests done.

The person reponsible for collecting the blood did not have gloves, so he used "bare hands". I am going to sue the lab. This is getting me very anxious.

It went as follows:

1. he used a fresh cotton swab, dipped in alcohol, or some other disinfectant to clean the injection site.

2. fresh disposible syringe to collect blood.

3. used the same cotton, that he had kept in his bare hands to press the puncture wound to keep the blood from oozing out.

4. I immediately removed that cotton and let some blood out.

5. took some fresh cotton, wiped away the blood, and then yet another fresh cotton to press the wound.

6. that retarded lab assistant took band aid and applied it onto the wound, using his bare hands again. Hopefully, he hadn't touched that part of the band aid that touched onto the wound.

What are the chances of having contracted some infection?

What should I do now?

Its about 14 hours now since this happened.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How do you know the Phlebotomist was HIV positive?

Phlebotomists don't wear gloves these days and they are to protect the Phlebotomist from contracting blood borne infections that patients may not be aware that they have.

What country are you in?

• Posted

No, I do not know if he is HIV positive.

But, as you say, he wasn't protected enough without the gloves and would have been exposed to other patients' blood as well.

So my father was indirectly exposed to an exposed person.

Pakistan, btw.

Should I be concerned? Or would you consider this normal and okay?

• Posted

Did the Phlebotomist wash his hands between patients or perhaps he used a sanitiser.

I had my bloods done in my local hospital last week and the Phlebotomists never wear gloves.  I am not worried but I am in the UK.  I don't know about Pakistan.

• Posted

No... He did not wash hands or use the sanitiser, before attending us.

what do you think are the chances?

• Posted

I have no idea, I don't know the level of HIV in Pakistan but I would have thought he would be more likely to contract it from outside the hospital or wherever he had the bloods done.

Why look for trouble when there doesn't appear to be anything wrong.

Have a look at the records of the hospital [or wherever] and see how many patients have contracted HIV from a blood test.  You should probably have done this before taking your father to have his bloods done.

• Posted

Ok.. I do not believe they maintain records like they do in developed countries. Thank you.
    • Posted

I don't know what else to suggest, except you could try asking someone locally.

• Posted

They should always wear gloves to protect themselves and others !!!
    • Posted

I did speak to one doctor today. She kept mum.. probably thinking not using the gloves was wrong, but did not seem too concerned either.

I am a bit more relaxed after seeing her not that alarmed at being told of the glove-free blood work.

• Posted

Hello Apparition, They should always wear gloves to protect themselves and others !! I live in the US Medical assistants always have gloves even when they are taking blood presure .

Jackie

• Posted

Thanks Jackie.

I know they should always wear the gloves.

But using gloves when taking blood pressure sounds a little too extreme.. doen't it? After all, its just normal human skin on skin contact.

It's probably more that way to avoid legal trouble, but medicinally I don't think it's that need. What say?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.