Potential Long Term Effects Of Gabapentin

Posted , 132 users are following.

I have been on Gabapentin on and off for about 7 months (since approx January). I was taking it for chronic pelvic pain, and it worked well, but it made me very emotional and made higher cognitive functions difficult. After 4 months of semi-regular use, I got off it quickly, but kept it around in case of a severe pain flare up. As of now I have gone through 2 "100 capsule" bottles of 100mg pills, so not too much. Never took a higher dosage then 300mg and never took more than 300mg in one day. 

I've used it a few times recently (in July, just a few weeks ago) when the pain really flared up, thinking it would only have minimal side effects, but it has resulted in continual severe depression and dark thoughts even though I haven't taken any in two weeks. I took it occassionally because I thought the depression was predominantely from the chronic pain, but now I realize the gabapentin was the root of it. I'm terrified because I know the drug has long since left my system but I can't shake the side effects. Doctors and psychologists won't listen to me. They say I'm just depressed and it isn't the medication, but I'm positive it is. The pain is finally improving, I'm going back to school, and things are looking up. But there is this unshakable auora that is plauging me. No matter how hard I distract myself and push through there's this cloud that impares my ability to emotionally and physical function (feelings of detachment, separation, depression, and some suicidal thoughts). Words come slower, it's harder to focus, memory is very dull. I wasn't concered within the first few days, but it's been a few weeks now and I'm alarmed that it doesn't seem to be improving.

Do the side effects ever go away... How long does it take and what can catalyze the healing process? Is it possible to incur permanent damage from a low dosage, or does it take months to heal. Can anyone explain the biomechanics behind how gabapentin can affect patients weeks after usage. 

Hopefully there is an answer and the possibility for recovery, but at the moment things are very frightening. 

13 likes, 287 replies

287 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Gabapentin is not something you use occasionally for pain relief like paracetemol. It works by altering the brain chemistry in a way that is beneficial for the relief of neuropathic pain. Some of these brain chemicals, like seretonin, are also important for our sense of well being. These drugs should not usually be stopped suddenly, just like most anti-depressants should not be stopped suddenly even if you feel fine. Sudden cessation can result in a 'rebound' effect of symptoms - often making it even worse than before.

You state a pattern of "semi regular use" and also taking it as 'required'. I fear this pattern of use may have contributed to some of your issues. As some have stated, the drug is usually tapered up and down in dosage rather than stopping suddenly. The current symptoms you descibe ("feelings of detachment, separation, depression, and some suicidal thoughts") sounds like textbook clinical depression.

Whether the gabapentin was responsible for onset of this depressive episode is partly irrelevant at this stage. What you really need to do is to see an appropriately experienced GP to discuss the depression symptoms ASAP and go from there. Don't be surprised if they suggest starting on anti-depressants; and if they do, please take seriously any warnings about not stopping abruptly!

• Posted

I agree with how you say to use gabapentin and the same with pregabalin, they are both built up gradually and also tapered off slowly if discontinuing treatment, It is always best to do this under the advice of soemone at Pain Clinic, as I find GPs often do not have the necessary skill set to understand how these drugs work, they do not have to know about these drugs at this level. Firstly though, be aware that antidepressants can be used for depression, and there are a wide number to choose from ( I sold them for diff. pharma companies for over 14 years ), depending on the level of depression and/or anxiety. Anybody experiencing suicidal ideation should be straight to the GP same day to be evaluated. When you start an antidepressant it takes 2-3 weeks to have an effect, and the first thing to come back is ''motivation'' - clearly if you feel suicidal and are motivated it's not a good combo, so you need to be under GP of Psych/CPN care and supervision. Secondly, I have taken gabapentin and pregabalin for over 5 years, I am coming off slowly, hopefully another 2 months max and I will be off, as I take other meds no point rushing it ! These drugs do work on brain chemsitry, and more and more is still coming to light about the side effects of gabapentin etc - I was ignored when I first reported side effects of memory loss, effects on language centre of brain about 4 years ago, then switched to pregabalin, as the new dr thought it had a cleaner side effect profile, as far as I am concerned they are much of a muchness, My Pain Consultant at the hopsital told me it would be a few months before I notice if there is a positive impact on my cognitive function from stopping the drug. I have also been told there is some new evidence to show that it's effect lessens after a perios of time, so may have been taking it and getting side effects without the benefit of pain relief. 

I think anyone experiencing depressiona and/or suicidal thoughts should visit their GP initially. 

GABA is a chemical in the brain , a neurotransmitter - and these drugs gabapentina and pregabalin are known as GABAergic drugs, are GABA analogues, and were primarily develpoed as anti-seizure medication. 

Antidepressants (old ones, occas used in pain clinics though) such as Amitryptilinework on neurotransmitter Noradrenaline. It was later discoverd that serotonin also can play a part in depression ( working to the Receptor Theory of Depression ) ( note there is a high % of patients on dummy pills get better too ).....so newer AD's work on serotonin ( all the SSRI's')...and there area few that work on both, used at Psych level only these days, cost more too !!

Cost does come into a lot of decisions that drs have to make, they are incentivised to come in on budget. My GPs are delighted I am coming off Pregabalin as costs about £18 a month, gabapentin is peanuts in comparison. 

Please be aware that is you read the DATA SHEET for both of these drugs. MOOD CHANGES etc are a side effect, and each person needs to be evaluated indivually. I think it would be dangerous to second guess which drug is doing what online, as even the drs are still finding out more about how these drugs work and how they interact etc.....

• Posted

I was just prescribed this today for nerve pain and the doctor told me to take it only as needed, I was on here checking into it before I take it, for severe nerve pain, so I guess they are prescribing it wrong because the Dr didn't tell me any of this
  • Posted

Dude you have no idea how identical stories we share I mean down to the pelvic pain. It's been months since I've got off that Me's and it has screwed my life and my head up bad and it's just starting to get where I can go to work again not because of the pain but all the crap the Neurotin left me to sort out. Your the only person I know this is happening to. I wish I could sue that drug company . It's made my life complete hell and I just want to see some light at the end of this tunnel
    • Posted

Hi Adam 3355. 

I have  experienced similar yet many more symptoms and effects from taking Gabapentin. I found your post helpful to me. I thought I was the only one going through this. I have been on Gabapentin for aproximately 13 years now. I feel so horrible. I can't even explain what it does and has done to me. I feel it should possibly be looked into, and perhaps be considered on the list of medications that cause Medically Induced Lupus. I have developed many autoimmune dosorders since taking Gabapentin, one including the antibody tests of Lupus. I am down to 300 mg. of Gabapentin a day and want to get off of it entirely. I want to make people aware of this. it is so hard on the body, mind emotions. I understand exactly what you are going through and am very sorry that you have to go through this. Also, I am sorry that I am going through this, and also and many others. I have to do more research into this and also another medication also. It is time that I start taking control of my health along side of medical professionals. Thank you. KarKar

• Posted

I'm sorry you are going through this, I got on here to read about this before taking it, so thank you! I hope your symptoms have improved
    • Posted

Know exactly how you feel an yes medical professionals seem to not be reponsibke for peoples lives more and more today, they certainly need to be accountable for this drug!!!! Ive been taking this drug for 5 months now an didnt know the full extent of it until now as it was given to me after surgery when doped up an given it to go home with an never explained the drug at all ever!!!! Now i find out theres nerve damage after i wanted to be off it!!!! If anyone gave me the choice i would have said no, but i wasnt !!!!!
    • Posted

In your case, are you saying gabapentin may have actually CAUSED nerve damage? What kind of pain was gabapentin originally prescribed for?

This rings very close to home for me as well...

• Posted

DrGonzo - I see this was posted a long time ago, but did you ever succeed in recovering from the Neurontin withdrawal symptoms?  Especially the mental problems?  I have been off it (having had to go off it pretty much cold turkey) for 5 weeks now and I'm still having so many withdrawal symptoms, including cognitive issues, brain fog and memory issues. Also have horrible insomnia and anxiety/panic. (Never had any problems like this before going off the Neurontin). I'm getting scared that these problems won't ever go away. 

• Posted

Kar Kar,

This is exactly what's happened to me with the DIL (Drug Induced Lupus). I had bloodwork that came back with a positive ANA titer, then high anti chromatin levels, which specify SLE and DIL...LUPUS!!!! I've had dry eyes for almost three years along with a host of neurological symptoms. I'm waiting on rheumatology and an EMG (nerve conduction testing) for suspected peripheral neuropathy. I'm not sleeping like I did prior to Gabapentin usage. I was taking 600mg at bedtime and had a PRN (As Needed) for and additional 100mg. three times a day. I generally stuck with the 600mg. at bedtime, but recently was told to increase the 600mg. to three times per day. Currently, I'm taking 600mg. at bedtime and another 300mg. in the morning and at noon for a total of 1200mg. I feel really edgy and have a ravenous appetite. I know it's this medication. The nerve pain has lessened, but I feel like I can't get myself moving. I'm trading one problem in for another. Please share your thoughts and what your experiences have been concerning the drug induced Lupus and how you've addressed that. I've been doing a lot of research on supplements for signs and symptoms of deficiencies, which I can only attribute to Gabapentin. I've tried to titrate off the Gabapentin previously and it was a nightmare. I've been told that the longer you are on it, the harder it is to come off. I'm going to try to come off of this along with the help from CBD Oil and various supplements. Again, I'm really interested to hear what happened to you auto immune wise as this is what I'm dealing with. This is the first I've heard of this and Gabapentin is not on the list, but that's not unusual as the study may not have included subjects that were using Gabapentin.This drug may be beneficial for some, but I'm skeptical of any drug that has such serious physiological and psychological implications while discontinuing and thereafter!

• Posted

I have been on Gabapentin for 10 years at varying doses due to nerve damage from a 3 level spinal fusion which went not as expected. I lost the ability to spell and am now having periods of short term forgetfulness. I am over 65 and could have aging memory issues.  However how can the source be determined. I hope to see a neurologist in the next 2 weeks to discuss the matter. I now have a 10 level fusion which went very well and my discomfort is tolerable. Im down to 1200mgs per day down from 2100 mgs.  Chronic pain also has its own effect on the brain. There are other medications to block nerve pain which I'm going to try. Go with your gut.   I wish us well.

• Posted

I have been on Gabapentin for over 10 years as well.  I had an injury and then disc replacement surgery at two levels when I was 29 years old.  Over the last 6 months I have noticed my memory has become increasingly worse and it is beginning to affect my ability to work.  I've been forgetting words and phrases, details about my life and mid sentence have forgotten what I was saying.  I had this side effect when I started talking Gabapentin 10 years ago but it went away after awhile.  don't believe I am old enough to have aging memory issues and have to believe it's from the medication.  I've asked my doctor to wean me off of the medication, I cannot funtion this way.  Does anyone know why the medication would suddenly be affecting our memories after so long of being on it?
    • Posted

I have also been on gabapentin for about 2 years at high dosage (3x300mg four times daily) and have had various problems, weight gain, very,very dry mouth and throat,plus the muddled feeling and forgetfullness.

A few weeks ago I decided to self-wean and started cutting out 1x300mg tablet each day for a week, then a second one till now I am down to only 3x300mg tabs daily. next week I want to cut down even further, so far I've had no bad side effects so I'm hoping it's a case of easy does the trick.

• Posted

I'm intersted in knowing if you lost the ability to spell. I went from 2400 mgs per day over a period of months to now.. 1200mg/day.  There has been no improvement if anything, I think thing are worse. I also started on an antidepresent several months ago and am wondering if this as made memory worse,  So many thing to consider and being scared doesn't help.  The best to you.
    • Posted

Hi,

I think things are improving for me but I am not taking antidepressants. I did take them some time ago and felt really 'out of things' so went off them again. Can you try cutting them down?

Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

yes, the language centre of my brain has been higely affected by these drugs as has my short term memory.....I didn't notice until a year or so into treatment, and was on gabapentin and pregabalin ( diff, drugs, same class - work on GABA receptors ).....I have come off it ...my pain dr can not tell me how much or if it will improve. One thing I can tell you is that I was told my one dr there is a chance of tolerating the dose, and so becomes less effective in treating the nerve pain as time goes on. My pain levels are no worse off it !!! As for my memory and words etc I will let you know !! I know exacltly how you feel
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, my gut is saying don't take it after reading these posts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.