Potential Long Term Effects Of Gabapentin

Posted , 132 users are following.

I have been on Gabapentin on and off for about 7 months (since approx January). I was taking it for chronic pelvic pain, and it worked well, but it made me very emotional and made higher cognitive functions difficult. After 4 months of semi-regular use, I got off it quickly, but kept it around in case of a severe pain flare up. As of now I have gone through 2 "100 capsule" bottles of 100mg pills, so not too much. Never took a higher dosage then 300mg and never took more than 300mg in one day. 

I've used it a few times recently (in July, just a few weeks ago) when the pain really flared up, thinking it would only have minimal side effects, but it has resulted in continual severe depression and dark thoughts even though I haven't taken any in two weeks. I took it occassionally because I thought the depression was predominantely from the chronic pain, but now I realize the gabapentin was the root of it. I'm terrified because I know the drug has long since left my system but I can't shake the side effects. Doctors and psychologists won't listen to me. They say I'm just depressed and it isn't the medication, but I'm positive it is. The pain is finally improving, I'm going back to school, and things are looking up. But there is this unshakable auora that is plauging me. No matter how hard I distract myself and push through there's this cloud that impares my ability to emotionally and physical function (feelings of detachment, separation, depression, and some suicidal thoughts). Words come slower, it's harder to focus, memory is very dull. I wasn't concered within the first few days, but it's been a few weeks now and I'm alarmed that it doesn't seem to be improving.

Do the side effects ever go away... How long does it take and what can catalyze the healing process? Is it possible to incur permanent damage from a low dosage, or does it take months to heal. Can anyone explain the biomechanics behind how gabapentin can affect patients weeks after usage. 

Hopefully there is an answer and the possibility for recovery, but at the moment things are very frightening. 

13 likes, 287 replies

287 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was just Googling "long term effects of Gabapentin" and found this discussion.  My reason for researching this is my increasing memory loss and ability to concentrate.  I've been on a dosage of 400mg x 3 daily for 2 1/2 years for fibromyalgia.  The drug works very well for keeping the pain managed (plus I take one Tramacet daily).  But I suffer from short term memory loss, I'm very easily distracted, can no longer multi-task, and have difficulty finding words when trying to talk.  Its only been the last few months that I started to suspect the drug.  At 54 I was thinking it could be my age... or a brain tumor... (laughing)... but then I had a conversation with a woman on Gabapentin who also has the exact same symptoms, so we decided it has to be the drug.

Problem is, the drug works so well for me I cant see myself weaning off of it and trying something else (like what?).  I know my fibro pain is lurking underneath there, and I don't really like the idea of starting over again trying to get it under control. And I don't know of another drug that isnt also going to havesome kind of side effects.  I'm lucky that I dont have to work anymore, so being loopy doesn't have too many consequences for me, other than frustrating me.  ☺

I just wanted to weigh in on the discussion, and also say I'm glad I found you guys and can confirm my suspicions.  

• Posted

Hi Lilybean

I have come off pregabilin (and previously gabapentin) for the exact same reason. I even started only taking the medication at night in an effort to function better during the day. Like you, I was terrified of going of it because it worked so well for the pain. I eventually concluded that the side effects were too much.

I went onto Palexia SR that had few side effects (initial itching and drowsiness were tolerable). I found, however, that I could only get 8 hours pain relief out of a 12 hour dose (most GPs usually won't prescribe this for 3 doses per day). This was hard to drop because my memory and cognitive function were coming back!

Finally I went back onto Tramadol SR 200mg. Only side effect for me is some short term memory issues; nothing like Gabapentin however. The tramadol seems to work best for me with tolerable side effects - no drowsiness in my case.

It is worth adding that I started taking MagPhos (don't confuse this with Magnesium supplements). 4 tablets a day and occasionally more if required. This relaxed cramping muscles (from fibromyalgia) from the first day. Within 2 weeks of starting my physio noted my hamstring extension had increased by 5cm! She assumed that I had diligently been applying the stretching exercises she had assigned me. The fact is I had only done them about 3 times.

For those that have fibromyalgia type symptoms, definitely give this a go. It absolutely works for relaxing the muscles and increasing inherent elasticity. I can now perform some physical activity without fearing the pain and feeling like a cripple the next day.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi plushly, thanks for responding to my post.  I'm going to talk to my NP about other options.  

I know about the mag phos, have used it during bad times.  Thanks for reminding me. smile

• Posted

Dear Moderator

Schuessler MagPhos tissue salts is not a brand. They are manufactured by a variety of supplement companies. It is important to distinguish that Magphos and MagPhos tissue salts are two different things. By removing the term "tissue salts" the potentially beneficial information in the message is substantially obscured.  Removing the term "Schuessler" is like removing the name "Bowen" from Bowen Therapy. Can see the point?

Regards

• Posted

Hi Lilybean

Just to clarify; the moderator removed the reference to MagPhos "tissue salts" or otherwise known as cell salts. Want to make sure there is no confusion.

Regards

• Posted

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I have removed the rule around this so won't go for moderation in future. The problem in the past was some users were promoting it in what sounded like an advertising way also mentioning a specific brand/site. 

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi all, I was injured in 2011 and thus began my journey.  At first we began the typical conservative therapy of medicine and PT.  I became bed bound and had to have surgery. When they got in my lumber spine , pieces of disk matter wrapped around my sciatic nerve to my right leg and cut it completely off. I have been on both neurontin and Lyrica. Lyrica made me gain excessive weight and I had continual sinusitis. So I switched back to neurontin. I experience everything all of you experience and it can be quite the uphill battle, however the pain experienced without this drug is much worse.  Try getting your vitamin d levels checked as this drug can effect the absorption of this vitamin. This has helped me tramendously. And another added benefit is helps with the horrible depressive symptoms also.  As I can not do a lot of exercise I have found a new found love of swimming. It has worked better than any therapy given thus far. And helps to keep my weight down that I gained being on Lyrica.  Wish you all the best. May you all be blessed and hope you find a regiment that works for you. And be sure to take those vitamins😀
  • Posted

I think it is important that this discussion is on here, as I thinka significant % of patients suffer, many in silence about these side effects causing further worry, worry over dementia , brain tumours, etc. All I will say is that I had many a dr tell me from 5 years ago that it couldn't be the drug, I am afraid I think pregabalin and gabapentin are v similar, I have taken both and am now facing up to the pain as I wean myself off under drs advice. slowly, as fed up of feeling  like I have dementia at 40. Been going on for a few years and gotten worse over time. I wish the medical profession were more aware of these side effects or at least able to discuss when a patient queries them about it. I have chronic back pain and live on slow release morphine that I top up with other pain killers also, I am not going to be reactionary and stop decreasing the dose yet, I have many a horrendous day on a strong dose. I just want to know if my memory and cognitive function will come back ? 
    • Posted

Hi Holly

I was only on pregabalin (similar side effects to gabapentin) for 6 months at maximum 600mg per day; memory went from that of a goldfish to that of a flea. It is worrying. One of the websites used the term "dementia" as a common side effect.

However, once I stopped taking pregabilin my memory started returning; even long term memories that had been lost. It didn't happen overnight, but after a couple of months I noticed I was  remembering a little more each week. Even the involuntary "body jerking" side effect has diminished substantially (happens perhaps once per fortnight now instead of everyday).

So to answer your question, at least in my case, memory and cognitive side effects are reversable once off these drugs entirely. It does take time, but take heart that it is possible.

• Posted

It's worth adding I have started taking memory and focus supplements like Huperzine A, Rhodiola etc. (as I still have some memory problems associated with tramadol - nothing like pregabalin though). I have not noticed them helping too much with memory, but focus and concentration have improved noticably. I can now work at my computer for several hours at a time without being distracted.
  • Posted

I hope you b Ave a full recovery from the side effects from the medication. I hope you can climb through the dark cloud youdescribed.
  • Posted

Hi my brother is in jail for doing something simple tell out of charector. He was taking gaberpentin and he has been off it for about a week or two now but he is still talking crazy and not like himself. We thought he was just having a spirtual awekening but after he got arrested and continues to talk not like himself, I am worried his medication gaberpentin is causing him side affects even tho he is not on it any more. Please tell me if u are still experience in your symptoms because I am worried about my brother and if this is permanent what should we do about it next. He is in jail right now for assault but he is facing a litany of charges and inknow it has to do with gaberoentin. I just need to know if it is going to be long term or if Th ere is a time when the side effects wear off. I cannot get a straight answer from any doctor. And we in my opinion the doctor over prescribed my brother 120 pills a moth and we found a 3 month supply in his car. I understand it is used to treat addiction. My brother said he used it for pain management. I'm just worried he is displaying side effects weeks after not taking this drug. Please if anyone has any answers I need to know if my brother will never be the same again so we can get him the help he needs.
    • Posted

Hi Justin

Any medication that affects brain receptors and chemistry is complex. Many people react differently and also they can interact with other medications which may not affect some but will affect others. Similarly, going off these medications, particularly if done in a hurry, can cause rebound symptoms. Antidepressants, muscle relaxants, anti-convulsants (like gabapentin) etc. can all be involved and cause out of character experiences if stopped suddenly.

Ideally your brother needs someone to look at his medical history, what medications and dosages he has been on (both legal and illegal if applicable). Also consider that the gabapentin may have been masking other issues to do with mental health. Considering the experiences you have described with your brother, it sounds like real medical and psychological expertise is required.

• Posted

I have 3 prolpased discs in my lower spine and associated nerve pain down my legs which varies in intensity but can be unbearable. Other bits have not got arthritis and degenertaion too now. I am 41, and was prescibed gabapentin and then swapped to pregabalin as told the side effect profile was better and I was complaining it was affecting my short term memory and also the language functionning part of my brain. I was Universirt educated with a 2:i in Pharmacology and a med rep for 14 years, so knew sthg was not right. Anyway, after being ignored by the doctors and no one being able to tell me if I would manage off it or not ( it was like a magic bullet when I first went on it ), I thought I coan not stand this any longer. I have tapered my dose off slowly as am on other medication mostly for my back pain to enable me to function, I was on 1800mg for a long time of gabapentin, then swapped to 300mg of pregabalin an then went to 200mg. I honestly wasn't sure of it was working any more, and with my background wondered if poss. to build up a tolerance to it ( like many other psychoactive compounds, I know I sold some for pharma companies )....anyway, it's taken me 5 motnhs or so, but I am off it !! And the nereve pain can be bad, but I honestly think that after 5 years it wasn't doing anything any more. My pain dr in UK tells me it could me months before I find out if my memory etc improves, I hope it does, but I am certainly no worse off re pain and am willing to give it a try. I read a book called ''Still Alice'' ( film too) about someone with EAD, and I can tell you there was a massive overlap between the early symptoms of EAD ( alzheimer's) and taking both of these medications. I also now a few people who don;t realise it can happen and are olde than me and are worried they have dementia and are on these drugs ! Just my personal opinion, but I will not be going back on it !! And yes, you do need to build up these drug levels each week, and the same coming off, taper down, as it works on GABA receptors which are in your brain !! Don't ever go cold turkey or do too quickly an escalation in dose....
  • Posted

Hi adam. I'd love to know if ubr still having problems from gabapentin. My brother has been off for a week but still acting erratic. I'd like to know if the symptoms subside over time and what we can do to help make the symptoms go away. Thank u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.